Serama Indoor Pet - Managing Smell?

PDZ is fine granules that absorb urine odor. I sprinkle it in my coops before the bedding goes down. Many folks use it alone on their poop boards, etc. It really does help.
51cExh5t3dL.jpg

Another bedding thought is pine pellets (used in horse stalls). I add enough water to break them down to something more like sawdust and use them in my brooders. Less dust than shavings, absorb smell better (they smell like pine) and you could scoop with a cat litter scoop.
I used these when I had guinea pigs. Good idea. Do you use these in the coop? Or do you have house chickens?

I used these when I had guinea pigs. Good idea. Do you use these in the coop? Or do you have house chickens?

I use some in the coop but mix with shavings and sweet PDZ for better insulation.

I don’t have house chickens but I brood inside. Have 24 eggs in the incubator right now. It’s the best thing I’ve found to keep brooder smell down.

I use some in the coop but mix with shavings and sweet PDZ for better insulation.

I don’t have house chickens but I brood inside. Have 24 eggs in the incubator right now. It’s the best thing I’ve found to keep brooder smell down.
Does the moisture from wetting the pellets cause any concern in the coop?

Thank you all so much for the replies, I will be stopping by the store tomorrow morning and picking some stuff up. What is an ideal protein percentage for their pellets? The crumbles I'm using is at 24%.

For those recommending me get him a buddy, that is 100% the plan. The guy I purchased him from told me he'd pick me up a hen in a few weeks or so. I do want a male/female pair so that they raise me some youngsters (and of course so they have companionship).

Thanks again!

Eric

A wire floor isn’t ideal for the bird. While it makes clean up easier it can result in cuts on his feet which can turn into bumble foot. Chickens are not like parrots, finches, doves, or other perching birds. They forage on the ground. Ditch the wire and use pine shavings NEVER aspen shavings as that will give them respiratory problems. Chickens generally roost at night. Good luck with your adorable new house pet
Couldn't agree more! By the new floor, would it be more like a screen or the hard metal square stuff? I was wondering if the latter might catch his toes.

Beautiful bird by the way! I'm usually not a big fan of Seramas, but he's certainly an exception:D

Sorry, final thing, shout out to the more experienced users (I'm not allowed roostets where I live so I wouldn't know ) Is there a possibility of overbreeding with only one of each sex, though now that I think about it, ducks might have what I was thinking of:gig

Sorry, I hope I don't seem nitpicky, I just wanted your experience to go as smoothly as possible:D you're already taking good care of him though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom