Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

I have no idea. I just noticed today that it wasn't as lively as yesterday and days previous, but definitely wasn't lethargic. Then, I noticed it's crop felt as if it were full of air, then it started gasping..eyes sort of "gelled" over (if that makes sense) so I held it until it died. Once it did die, it regurgitated (?) a ton of spit and bubbles. I had tried using a bulb syringe in it's mouth once I noticed the gasping, but it did nothing. Poor baby. Anybody have any ideas what could have happened?
I had almost this exact thing happen with a chick my last hatch, ironically they both had the same parents...but there are a few other full siblings that are still thriving.
idunno.gif

Sorry to hear that....what do you think it could have been?

As mentioned I had 6 successful hatches from 2 batches. Saturday I had 3 out of 4 hatch. Never had such bad hatch rates. Batch 1 was 36%, batch 2 was 29%. 3rd batch was better - 75 %. But each batch had a chick with problems. Both Silkies in batch 1 were splayed legged. I found a Forum that discussed what to do about that. A Silkie in batch 3 began to be splayed, tapped it's legs also. Plus one of the Cochins in batch 3 had curled toes. Found another Forum that told what to do also. I've been able to remove the tape from both Silkies and they seem to be fine now. Will give the curled toes Cochin a little more time before removing its boots.

But, I now have 9 new chicks and they seem to be growing well.

Have one more batch of 2 Silkie eggs due to hatch Wed the 14th. Since they are from the same parents I'll just have tape ready to fix their legs.

I have no idea. I just noticed today that it wasn't as lively as yesterday and days previous, but definitely wasn't lethargic. Then, I noticed it's crop felt as if it were full of air, then it started gasping..eyes sort of "gelled" over (if that makes sense) so I held it until it died. Once it did die, it regurgitated (?) a ton of spit and bubbles. I had tried using a bulb syringe in it's mouth once I noticed the gasping, but it did nothing. Poor baby. Anybody have any ideas what could have happened?
I had almost this exact thing happen with a chick my last hatch, ironically they both had the same parents...but there are a few other full siblings that are still thriving.
idunno.gif

Quote:
That's quite a coincidence that you have had it happen from the same parents before.I'm not sure what it could be unless it is something passed on through the egg and only stronger chicks make it? Not sure....sorry for your loss though...

Just want to thank everyone for all the information in this forum. I've checked out BYC for a couple years now but never joined in. I've really been helped a lot by this and other Forums.

As mentioned I had 6 successful hatches from 2 batches. Saturday I had 3 out of 4 hatch. Never had such bad hatch rates. Batch 1 was 36%, batch 2 was 29%. 3rd batch was better - 75 %. But each batch had a chick with problems. Both Silkies in batch 1 were splayed legged. I found a Forum that discussed what to do about that. A Silkie in batch 3 began to be splayed, tapped it's legs also. Plus one of the Cochins in batch 3 had curled toes. Found another Forum that told what to do also. I've been able to remove the tape from both Silkies and they seem to be fine now. Will give the curled toes Cochin a little more time before removing its boots.

But, I now have 9 new chicks and they seem to be growing well.

Have one more batch of 2 Silkie eggs due to hatch Wed the 14th. Since they are from the same parents I'll just have tape ready to fix their legs.

I do know that sometimes if they hatch early they can be splay legged....the curled toes could be hereditary, my favorite roo has a curled toe...his name is Bentley
big_smile.png
he had it when I bought him at TSC as a chick and is 2 years old now and fine. Gives him character, I say
wink.png

I also have a batch of 12 bantam mix eggs due to hatch the 14th! Keep me posted!

not sure, it was turned where I couldn't see the pip until a chick turned it (the chick was pushing the eggs around) but it has been about 11 hourse since I first noticed it.

Back
Top Bottom