Sew What?

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
When thinking of emergency supplies to have on hand, one should think of worse case scenarios. For example, my Great Mauler of Peafowl Pyrenees has a taste for peafowl. He is good as gold with all the other birds on the property, even the mature free ranging peacocks of generally safe, but not totally. They have to watch him like a hawk. One of the four birds he has extensively 'played' with died, two required stitches, and one, Zombee, we caught just in the nick of time.

This first bird we stitched up I could not find the sutures my vet gave me so I used regular thread and needle.

After cleaning up, removing feathers from the wound site, and stitching it up it looked like this.

I just knew that this poor bird would be all messed up and never have that beautiful colored pattern on his back ever. I am happy to say that I can not pick him out from the rest of the 'for sale' birds.

The other day I found this IBSP in the 'keeper for now' pen with a deep to the bone flesh wound.

After cleaning it up with Vetricin Wound Care and removing the excess feathers it looked like this.

Using the suture pictured above, and packaging below.

The finished stitching looked like this.

We then applied Wound Kote.

And bandaged with gauze and vet wrap.

Another layer of med tape, a shot of Zactran and he is on the mend.

So, boys and girls, when stocking the med chest don't forget the supplies to close those gaping wounds.

When thinking of emergency supplies to have on hand, one should think of worse case scenarios. For example, my Great Mauler of Peafowl Pyrenees has a taste for peafowl. He is good as gold with all the other birds on the property, even the mature free ranging peacocks of generally safe, but not totally. They have to watch him like a hawk. One of the four birds he has extensively 'played' with died, two required stitches, and one, Zombee, we caught just in the nick of time.

This first bird we stitched up I could not find the sutures my vet gave me so I used regular thread and needle.

After cleaning up, removing feathers from the wound site, and stitching it up it looked like this.

I just knew that this poor bird would be all messed up and never have that beautiful colored pattern on his back ever. I am happy to say that I can not pick him out from the rest of the 'for sale' birds.

The other day I found this IBSP in the 'keeper for now' pen with a deep to the bone flesh wound.

After cleaning it up with Vetricin Wound Care and removing the excess feathers it looked like this.

Using the suture pictured above, and packaging below.

The finished stitching looked like this.

We then applied Wound Kote.

And bandaged with gauze and vet wrap.

Another layer of med tape, a shot of Zactran and he is on the mend.

So, boys and girls, when stocking the med chest don't forget the supplies to close those gaping wounds.

So let's go over our med kits together.
Wormer: Safeguard, I think Valbazen and Pancuar are other good wormers. Don't know, Kathy, can you correct or confirm me. I need a second opinion.
Antibiotic: Tylan 200, Penicillin, Sulmet, Oxytetracycline HCI, Linxmed-SP, and Ampromed
External Parasite Control: Poultry Protector, Permetherin 10%, and Poultry Dust
Other: Suture and Needle, needle nose pliers, and scalpel knife. A poultry vet or vet on speed dial if possible.

Wormer: Safeguard, I think Valbazen and Pancuar are other good wormers. Don't know, Kathy, can you correct or confirm me. I need a second opinion.
Antibiotic: Tylan 200, Penicillin, Sulmet, Oxytetracycline HCI, Linxmed-SP, and Ampromed
Other: Suture and Needle, needle nose pliers, and scalpel knife. A poultry vet or vet on speed dial if possible.

That is a good start Jayden, I would need an Excel spread sheet to list all the 'stuff' I have accumulated in the short time I have had peafowl. I didn't see antibiotic cream on your list or the purple spray on antibiotic, syringes, needles, bandages, Q-tips, eye cream, nail clippers, eye dropper, tube feeding supplies or feed and supplements for tubing just to name a few.

Most of what we accumulate comes from need, however, it is best to have things on hand for emergencies. I can only imagine what your chest will have in it by the time you graduate from vet school.

This represents about 2/3 of what we keep on hand. Calcium Gluc. is in the fridge, 5 lb. bag of Kaytee exact is too big for this cabinet, etc.... Pardon my complete lack of organization, believe it or not I know where everything is .

That is a good start Jayden, I would need an Excel spread sheet to list all the 'stuff' I have accumulated in the short time I have had peafowl. I didn't see antibiotic cream on your list or the purple spray on antibiotic, syringes, needles, bandages, Q-tips, eye cream, nail clippers, eye dropper, tube feeding supplies or feed and supplements for tubing just to name a few.

Most of what we accumulate comes from need, however, it is best to have things on hand for emergencies. I can only imagine what your chest will have in it by the time you graduate from vet school.

Especially since I'll need stuff for multiple animal species. You have nail clippers for your birds?

If you can find Sulmet, buy it. If you have Sulmet on hand, hoard it.

It has vanished from the market.

http://globalpigeonsupplies.com/products/sulmet-liquid Is this what you are looking for? Nevermind....you are correct, this has disappeared.

Yes, there are still some places with it on the product list but they are all "backordered" or "long-term backordered" or "sold out."

I just bought two (just barely) expired bags of powder at TSC, then went by the small, independent place I go for specialty feeds -- they had a larger bag with a later expiration date, but I wasn't up to spending another $30 after getting the two at TSC. I may go back after it anyway. There were like 3 more small bags at TSC with the same expiration date as the ones I bought. I think the shelf life is probably longer than the listed expiration date.

I would suggest that if you use this medication, you browse the shelves of wherever you shop for critter supplies. The things I read suggested that they are just depleting it out of inventory everywhere and it isn't available to restock. No idea if it will be available again later or not. I thought I saw one poultry supply website -- maybe a month or two ago -- that said it was being discontinued. That sounded so odd that I just didn't pay attention since I hadn't seen that anywhere else.

I don't know if it has actually been discontinued, or if they are changing it to prescription only or if they just aren't making it for a season, but everywhere I checked (outside of the two brick & mortar stores), it is completely gone. A very brief internet search didn't suggest any regulatory action, but I didn't look thoroughly.

Well, after digging some more, I found sulfadimethoxine available -- it's a similar drug. I'm racking my aging, CRS brain and I think I read (like last year) about the similarities and some subtle differences between the Sulmet version and the sulfadimethoxine (if I have that correct, who knows). There's a sulfamethazine and sulfadimethoxine, and for some reason I'm remembering they weren't exactly the same.

So maybe we are just all moving towards the Albon version?

If that's still going to be available, then no need to panic. Maybe we're moving to the better/safer drug?
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom