Sex- linked Information

@atm21 I see you recently joined BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

I have done many crosses with Single Comb RIW females and Single Comb RIR males. I like to experiment. I have also done this with my Rose Comb RIW females and RC RIR males. Also I have used Delaware females and RIR males. With the Delaware cross the female chicks look like the RIR male (father) and the male chicks look like the Delaware females (mothers). A Delaware male with RIR females will produce all Delaware looking chicks.
Females from my SC RIW female/SC RIR male cross

SC RIR pullet, RSL pullet, RC RIW pullet

RSL pullet

Some young male RSL's.

Grow out coop with some project hatches as well.

The white chicks are the male RSL the buff colored are the RSL female and the darker chicks are RIR.

a young male and female RSL

These were some RSL chicks I kept for another project.

When they were older

The RSL project chicks older.

These were the chicks from the project birds

More chicks from the project birds. White was definitely the dominant color.

Last edited:
Quote:
It looks to me like a young Columbian-type too. RIW female with RIR or NHR male would produce a RSL. I have done that cross many times.

There is a chance if you put this male with RIR or NHR females that all of the chicks would look similar to this male.

Last edited:
Any hen with sex-linked barring (includes most any barred or cuckoo breed as well as the *bars, legbars, rhodebars, welbars) will have a single copy of the barring gene and that is key to making a black sexlink. The male parent must not have any barring genes (males can have 0, 1 or 2 copies).

The other "key" is that one parent must have extended black (chicks are colored like penguins, BCM's meet that test) and neither parent can have genes that suppress or dilute the black, so dominant white (white leghorns for ex) or BBS (Andulusian) blue create problems by removing the black and making the head spot not contrast enough to detect reliably.

I've never done the CCL x BCM cross, but I am 100% confident it will produce black sexlinks.

WOW!
Something new everytime I come here. I was fairly that 2 of the chicks that hatched a couple weeks ago had our Black Australorp as the daddy. I am assuming that he also meets the extended black requirement. My first thought when I saw them was that they indeed looked like little penguins and still do.

Last edited:
The white rooster above I posted I believe this is the mother

The rest of my hens are sex links red, gold, black, I also have a few barred rocks and some australorps. I have two hens I think are welsummers. They are all with my RIR rooster.

I believe this chick is a female from the same pairing of the RIW and RIR

The only other possibility if I switched eggs up was from my pen that has a barred rock rooster and EE but I'm pretty positive they aren't from my EE because there are 4 white looking roosters that are identical

The white rooster above I posted I believe this is the mother

The rest of my hens are sex links red, gold, black, I also have a few barred rocks and some australorps. I have two hens I think are welsummers. They are all with my RIR rooster.

I believe this chick is a female from the same pairing of the RIW and RIR

The only other possibility if I switched eggs up was from my pen that has a barred rock rooster and EE but I'm pretty positive they aren't from my EE because there are 4 white looking roosters that are identical
The white hen is a White Rock. It is possible that she has both the barring gene, dominant white, and a columbian restrictor, in addition to her silver ground color.

WOW!
Something new everytime I come here. I was fairly that 2 of the chicks that hatched a couple weeks ago had our Black Australorp as the daddy. I am assuming that he also meets the extended black requirement. My first thought when I saw them was that they indeed looked like little penguins and still do.
Yes, Australorps are extended black, they would make black sexlinks with a barred hen, either black barred or crele (like a Legbar or Rhodebar).

The white hen is a White Rock. It is possible that she has both the barring gene, dominant white, and a columbian restrictor, in addition to her silver ground color.

Ok awesome thanks that explains it then! I thought they were RIW but I didn't even think about white rocks which makes sense then thank you all very much! Would they be considered sex linked then? Since all 4 are white and identical and all appear as roosters.

Ok awesome thanks that explains it then! I thought they were RIW but I didn't even think about white rocks which makes sense then thank you all very much! Would they be considered sex linked then? Since all 4 are white and identical and all appear as roosters.
White Rocks can be used to produce red sexlinks.

One more question. ..
If I used a cream legbar rooster over a delaware hen.. would that make a sexlink?
Delaware is silver based.. cream legbar roosters are supposed to carry barring but 1 gene?
Would the chicks be red sexlink or just barred chicks?

Back
Top Bottom