Sexing eggs!

I get the desire to figure this out.
I get the joy of hatching different shaped egg and cataloging it.
I don't want people not to experiment.
But, would someone explain to me what the theory is behind believing the shape of an egg shell determines the sex of the embryo.

Most hens lay the same shape eggs every day. The hen determines the sex but does that mean some hens only produce pullets and some only produce cockerels?

Just like my husband, so far HE has only produced girls, 2 for 2...... And don't think I am willing to try for a 3rd~ LOL

Ok, i am a chicken/guinea/turkey lover/mama of 6 years now but have a newbie question. .. how the heck when i go to auction do they label some eggs as "table eggs" and some "fertile "? Are they spiritual? All i know is i have 15 roosters to my 25+hens of breeding age, not a statistic. .. what am i missing?

Ok, i am a chicken/guinea/turkey lover/mama of 6 years now but have a newbie question. .. how the heck when i go to auction do they label some eggs as "table eggs" and some "fertile "? Are they spiritual? All i know is i have 15 roosters to my 25+hens of breeding age, not a statistic. .. what am i missing?
I guess some people have laying flocks without roos. especially if they have white leghorns or hybrid layers. they lay better if there is no roo around.

Eggs for hatching should be stored fat end up, so as to keep the air cell in the proper position. So the 'table' eggs likely haven't been stored in the manner needed for viable hatches, or there is no rooster in the flock to fertilize the hens.

Many folks maintain layer only flocks with no roosters, so the eggs will be infertile. Additionally, eggs not stored under optimal conditions for hatching eggs (unwashed, positioned fat end up, kept at optimal temperature, turned and 10 days or less in age) will offer significantly lower hatch rates even if the were fertile when laid so unless they are collected and handled to preserve hatchability it would be irresponsible to sell them as hatching eggs which traditionally demand a higher price than those intended for consumption

Last edited:
Age of eggs could also be a factor. Or washed/refrigerated ones. Mine all have the possibility of being fertile, but we rarely wash, refrigerate, or eat any that are less than a week old. I might get the urge to incubate some at any given minute! LOL! But once they are over a week or two old, they become fair game for eating. Hopefully folks are taking very old eggs to auction though.

Okay I know you are going to laugh at me and I don't care. I'm a fan of using the ring on a string trick to see if they are male or female. once the egg is progressed far enough along to definitely be one or the other. I've seen it so many times and be right I don't care if anybody believes me . I'm a Believer.
I watched my daughter in law do it once over her hand with her gold wedding ring on a string. Kelsey's having twins, a boy and a girl. that ring went around in a circle once and then back and forth once. then round in a circle once and then back and forth once. it was just amazing to see. I have also seen at old-time farmer do it with chicks correctly.

Last edited:
Okay I know you are going to laugh at me and I don't care. I'm a fan of using the ring on a string trick to see if they are male or female. once the egg is progressed far enough along to definitely be one or the other. I've seen it so many times and be right I don't care if anybody believes me . I'm a Believer.
I watched my daughter in law do it once over her hand with her gold wedding ring on a string. Kelsey's having twins, a boy and a girl. that ring went around in a circle once and then back and forth once. then round in a circle once and then back and forth once. it was just amazing to see. I have also seen at old-time farmer do it with chicks correctly.

I've heard many people swear by it, so you aren't alone!

Circle is female, back and forth is male?? Just for kicks, I'm going to try it with my new chicks. I have guesses on most of the little ones anyway.

Back
Top Bottom