Sexing Indian Blue peachicks

Flock Leader

Songster
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Israel
Hi all,

We are new to peafowl and currently have three chicks. The first is older than the others, about 4 months, and the younger are 2.5 months. Anyone can help us determine whether we have boys or girls? We have our guesses, but I'll refrain until I hear what others say. :)

DSC_0376.JPG

Chick 1.
DSC_0377.JPG

Chick 2.
DSC_0380.JPG

Chick 3 (caught sunbathing! Very camera shy).

I'd really appreciate your input, and also your reasoning, as I'd love to learn how to sex peafowl.

We love our peas; they are extremely friendly and sociable, and hang out with us all the time. We're crossing our fingers for a pair, because we'd love to breed them, though I realize it takes time, a lot longer than with chickens.

Also, our older peachick has a persistent sneezing for the past few weeks, though we've tried antibiotics in water and food. Otherwise appears fine. Any advice?

1 Hold the chicks in your left hand. Turn the chicks over so their bellies are exposed. Look at the chick's vent below the tail. This is the area where future sex organs will develop in the peachick. If the vent has a small protrusion or bump, the peachick is male. If the vent is a smooth area, the peachick is female.

2 Allow the peachicks to grow for two months. Male peacocks will have longer legs than the females. If you measure the legs at approximately two months of age, the males should have slightly longer legs. You can then separate the hens from the cocks with some accuracy.

3 Wait a few more months for primary feathers to start to develop. If you have the standard blue and brown peafowl, you should be able to determine the difference in sexes between nine months and one year. The males will develop dark, chocolate brown primary feathers. The female will develop more muted brown, grayish primary feathers.

4 Listen and watch the chicks as they develop. The male chicks may show higher signs of aggression.

1 Hold the chicks in your left hand. Turn the chicks over so their bellies are exposed. Look at the chick's vent below the tail. This is the area where future sex organs will develop in the peachick. If the vent has a small protrusion or bump, the peachick is male. If the vent is a smooth area, the peachick is female.

2 Allow the peachicks to grow for two months. Male peacocks will have longer legs than the females. If you measure the legs at approximately two months of age, the males should have slightly longer legs. You can then separate the hens from the cocks with some accuracy.

3 Wait a few more months for primary feathers to start to develop. If you have the standard blue and brown peafowl, you should be able to determine the difference in sexes between nine months and one year. The males will develop dark, chocolate brown primary feathers. The female will develop more muted brown, grayish primary feathers.

4 Listen and watch the chicks as they develop. The male chicks may show higher signs of aggression.

OMG :lau:yuckyuck:smack

Hi all,

We are new to peafowl and currently have three chicks. The first is older than the others, about 4 months, and the younger are 2.5 months. Anyone can help us determine whether we have boys or girls? We have our guesses, but I'll refrain until I hear what others say. :)

View attachment 1147144
Chick 1.
View attachment 1147146
Chick 2.
View attachment 1147147
Chick 3 (caught sunbathing! Very camera shy).

I'd really appreciate your input, and also your reasoning, as I'd love to learn how to sex peafowl.

We love our peas; they are extremely friendly and sociable, and hang out with us all the time. We're crossing our fingers for a pair, because we'd love to breed them, though I realize it takes time, a lot longer than with chickens.

Also, our older peachick has a persistent sneezing for the past few weeks, though we've tried antibiotics in water and food. Otherwise appears fine. Any advice?

The first one is def hen, look at the lacing on the breast, a sure sign. The other two pics are difficult but I believe the second is a hen as it looks to be losing the barring on back, the last I would need to see the breast, although I am leaning hen.

I did read this as well, but am still confused.

Thanks for your input! I'll try to take some pictures from the front.

The first one is def hen, look at the lacing on the breast, a sure sign. The other two pics are difficult but I believe the second is a hen as it looks to be losing the barring on back, the last I would need to see the breast, although I am leaning hen.

DSC_0385.JPG
Here is number 2 again.
DSC_0384.JPG

And number 3 again.
DSC_0386.JPG

And here they are side by side on the perch: 2 on the right, 3 on the left.

Is it possible to tell more definitely now?

Back
Top Bottom