sexing muscovies

Last edited:
they are between 3 to 4 months

the one with his beak open was hissing at me, I'll pay more attention to their vocalizations

Last edited:
do drakes have feathers on top of their heads that stand up, kind of like a mowhawk? A raven flew by and four out of five of them all reacted that way.

Cream Puff,
Is there any major size difference between any of the ducks? From what I see in the pictures, most of them look like males, but pictures can make things look very different.

do drakes have feathers on top of their heads that stand up, kind of like a mowhawk? A raven flew by and four out of five of them all reacted that way.

All 'scovies do that male or female they all wag too, it's all size.. drakes way outsize the ladies and the ladies do have a wide range of vocals, coos, trills, hiss and honk.. whereas boy get a hiss only. Most females can fly, and most males by pushing one simply cannot again due to their sizing...

I will look at the pic but can toss one of some of mine to show..

Male in front, female in behind you can see her facial fleshing is less and so is her size.. they are the same age by the way..

some whites from years ago, left is the female, drake to the right

Last edited:
After looking at your shots none look particularly drake at this point... especially being they are a few months..

These are all females and none are 1yo as of yet.. they vary slightly in aging as the one at the far back is a different clutch.

A shot of a young pair... chocolate female, white drake.. again you can see the sizing.. i would advise using size and vocals due to their aging... pictures can be hard because they do skew perspective but nothing appears too drake like, usually females have a feminine looking head as silly as that may sound lol boys are like on overdrive for size and are just big.

I've seen all of them fly. I'm not hearing anything but hisses. The red things on their faces are coming in more, and distinct nobs above the beak. I guess time will have to tell, they're either all female or male because they're all about the same size. They are also bigger than the flock they originally came from, but that flock was on over grazed land and I think weren't fed as well (these one have the run of five acres).
It's hard to tell, my guess is all male which is good for meat but I wanted eggs and ducklings in the yard.

Cream Puff,
Is there any major size difference between any of the ducks? From what I see in the pictures, most of them look like males, but pictures can make things look very different.

does the growth rate suddenly take off at a certain point? because they are all about the same size with one slightly bigger than the rest, but not as big a size difference as I've seen in the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom