Sexing silver appleyard ducklings

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you are still around and might chime in with how things panned out. Two of our silver Appleyards were completely white/yellow. Below is a picture of them a couple days post hatch. They had no black anywhere (no dark mohawk or tail feathers).

20170511_111051.jpg

They are now over four weeks post hatch, and these two still have no dark markings on them at all--just the same whitish-yellow, while their brothers and sisters are all developing lots of coloration. You can see the difference in coloration toward the end of this video. That video was at just about four weeks post hatch.

We are so curious about these two. Any more experienced folks care to share your experiences?

Thanks!
Due to the Silver Appleyard's genotype, it is common for them to produce some solid white offspring. The White Appleyard has identical physical and productive qualities as the Silver and is useful when a pure white duck is desired.

I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if any of you are still around and might chime in with how things panned out. Two of our silver Appleyards were completely white/yellow. Below is a picture of them a couple days post hatch. They had no black anywhere (no dark mohawk or tail feathers).

20170511_111051.jpg

They are now over four weeks post hatch, and these two still have no dark markings on them at all--just the same whitish-yellow, while their brothers and sisters are all developing lots of coloration. You can see the difference in coloration toward the end of this video. That video was at just about four weeks post hatch.

We are so curious about these two. Any more experienced folks care to share your experiences?

Thanks!
The 2 larger ducks in the my picture are Pekins but the smaller one in the front is an all white Silver Appleyard (Snow)
d11364d4-ab55-4bba-91a0-b858acd7cc11.jpg

I picked up this Silver Appleyard at the feed store a few weeks back. They had him discounted because he was a male. I have assumed it’s a drake but yesterday I heard the quack! Do SA hen’s come in drake colors sometimes?!

Attachments

• AACBC6F8-648D-483F-BF76-C2E7DD84AEA5.jpeg
    AACBC6F8-648D-483F-BF76-C2E7DD84AEA5.jpeg
    947 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom