Share your pictures of Dust/Dirt Baths

Cute!!
images
This is NOT my picture. I just wanted to share it with you off of Google :) I think it's hilarious

Isn't it adorable when they do that?

This is Speckles, (Barred Rock Cockerel), and Peep ,(Rhode Island Red Pullet).

This is Lady Lacey, (Barred Rock Pullet).

This all three of them. (We have 4 chicks, but for some reason I don't have a pic of Sunny, (Buff Orpington Pullet), taking a dust bath.

Yes, tubs, and big kitty litter boxes will work too.

I mix sand, DE and ashes. (I have a lid to try to keep moisture out of the DE so it will remain effective, I've heard that once wet it looses its insect killing properties. )
HUmm i may be totally wrong here but i thought DE was no more than finely crushed shells with minoscule sharp edges and the bug crawling on it sort of scrapped themselves to death .Didnt know it had any kind of insecticide properties.

HUmm i may be totally wrong here but i thought DE was no more than finely crushed shells with minoscule sharp edges and the bug crawling on it sort of scrapped themselves to death .Didnt know it had any kind of insecticide properties.
I know I kpow...tis thread is about dust baths so why get so literal.(me) ..boring but i was curious and found this. think wikipedia ;

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is heat-resistant, it can also be used as a thermal insulator.

Since we move the chickens frequently, they have only grass.  I was thinking we'd use one of those 4 inch high totes to put some dirt in for them.  Anyone else have to "make" a dirt/dust bath?

Mickey
I use a big kitty litter box filled with sand, DE and potting soil. They LOVE IT!

control
Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations.[citation needed][12][13] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[14] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations

I know I kpow...this thread is about dust baths so why get so literal.(me) ..boring but i was curious and found this. think wikipedia ;

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide, absorbent for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is heat-resistant, it can also be used as a thermal insulator.
and heres HOW it works...and then im done .SORRY!!!

control
Diatomite is used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties.[8] The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.[9] Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans, with questionable efficacy.[10][11] It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate cockroach and flea infestations.[citation needed][12][13] This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.[14] It has also been used to control bedbug infestations

I know I kpow...tis thread is about dust baths so why get so literal.(me) ..boring but i was curious and found this. think wikipedia ;

The" How" i pasted the part of the page that tells but it didnt show up for some reason
So my short version.....How it works is; ...these diatoms shells get on the bug and somehow makes the bugs dehydrate to death basically.

Back
Top Bottom