She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

!

Great!  Is that your first?

Nope, have a couple more old ones. But this is my first duck!
1f60a.png

So when I bought my incubator today the guy I was talking to said that when he has hatched duck eggs before after day 10 he would dip them in warm water for no more than 10 seconds and had a great hatch rate when doing so. Anyone try this before?

So when I bought my incubator today the guy I was talking to said that when he has hatched duck eggs before after day 10 he would dip them in warm water for no more than 10 seconds and had a great hatch rate when doing so. Anyone try this before?

Misting duck eggs is common day 10-24, but I haven't done it. I've never heard of dipping them though

So I broke down and bought an incubator. It has been on for 3 hours now. The thermometer on the lid says 96* and the one I calibrated with my candy thermometer says 100*. Is it normal to have the two a few degrees off?

Yep. Especially with digital. You can line up 10 digital thermometers and not have 2 tell you the same temp. Most liquid thermometers are pretty much the same as each other

Both my chicks hatched! I don't know what shape they are in. I don't see yolk. They are chirping.

That's awesome! It was the 2 that you opened? You got lucky, now you don't have to worry about an assist and all that could possibly go wrong with it. I'm happy for you!

Cannot express how happy I am for you!! That's great! Pictures please!!

Take them out whenever you want, (I'd wait for no pips in progress) and let them eat right away.
(just never let them have food without water available)

Is this a super silly question or what!!?! But do ducklings need marbles in the water dish like chicks? I mean the mom would usually bring them to water after hatch but idk?

will have to check it out. I just printed a piece of paper numbered 1-28 with the coordinating date and 3 blank turn spots to "x" it when the eggs have been turned. Trying to keep it hands on for our girls (8 & 11) but still organized.

I love this chart for incubation. Maybe you could add a few days to make 28 or get some ideas from it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/363

Misting duck eggs is common day 10-24, but I haven't done it. I've never heard of dipping them though

X2. The mother duck goes off the nest once a day to water and moistens the eggs when she gets back on them. So misting them mimics that but I've never heard of dipping, that's interesting.

Is this a super silly question or what!!?! But do ducklings need marbles in the water dish like chicks? I mean the mom would usually bring them to water after hatch but idk?

I use a few rocks, spaced several inches apart for the first several days. But leave them room between them. They need to be able to dip their whole bill in to clean out their nares. But leaving it wide open, they go all the way around and make a bigger mess, so a few rocks limits the mess... A little! Lol. And keeps them from trampling through it so much. The important part is enough water to be able to clean the nostrils out.

Ruby are they Ebay eggs? now It's my understanding that once you package inters the postal system it becomes your property you are the owner even though It's in the hands of the postal service. this only changes if they cannot deliver the package and it is returned to the sender . usps one price packages come with ins that should be yours the shipper can pay extra to raise the amount .I am not sure how that effects the Ins. that comes with the one price shipping .I will say this If the shipper put $500.00 Ins. on this shipment and It's lost there going to do rather well on this. My last shipment of eggs show up twice on usps tracking. when it was picked up and again at the senders post office and that was it. I know it went through four major post offices on the way here tracking was updated after the package arrived at my post offices .something smells here I don't like it have you contacted the seller. after all they chose the shipping. now were I you I would take cartons to the post office and open them there if found . the postal service seems to be getting worse. keep checking your tracking #.good luck

Nice chart Ruby! I like it.

It's great, isn't it! I've used a few different ones before I found that one and now I'll only use that one.

Ruby are they Ebay eggs? now It's my understanding that once you package inters the postal system it becomes your property  you are the owner even though It's in the hands of the postal service. this only changes if they cannot deliver the package  and it is returned to the sender . usps one price packages come with ins that should be yours the shipper can pay extra to raise the amount .I am not sure how that effects the Ins. that comes with the one price shipping .I will say this If the shipper put $500.00 Ins. on this shipment and It's lost there going to do rather well on this. My last shipment of eggs show up twice on usps  tracking. when it was picked up and again at the senders post office and that was it. I know it went through four major post offices on the way here tracking was updated after the package arrived at my post offices .something smells here I don't like it have you contacted the seller. after all they chose the shipping. now were I you I would take cartons to the post office and open them there if found . the postal service seems to be getting worse. keep checking your tracking #.good luck  

Yes, they are. I found her on Facebook and she sent me to eBay because she's selling there. She has 100% positive feedback and she seems like she's on the up. Thank you for the info. Hopefully they will show up tomorrow or I'll have more info. I should have sucked up the $ and paid overnight, instead of 2 day priority! (I had that shipping option but overnight was $50.) I HATE hindsight!...drives me nuts!

Back
Top Bottom