She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about my other broody. I am going to be totally honest here, just to show the good and bad of what can happen with hands off on a broody. I have also had a black mottled d'uccle sitting for the last 3 weeks. When my wife got home from work Friday, she was out in the pen with 2 fluffy babies. I asked her to look in the coop and see if there were any more. She looked, and there was a wet one in the nest, cold and barely alive. She put it in a brooder under a lamp, but it was too late. It had died by the time I got home. When I went to inspect the coop, another had hatched and died in the nest. This is this hen's first batch, so I think in her excitement to get the first hatchers outside, she left unhatched eggs on the nest that popped soon after she left. If I had it to do over again, I don't know what I would do. I probably wouldn't change anything. I have removed a broody hen to a broody box before, and after 3 weeks it was just like integrating a new chicken back into the flock. At least when they hatch in the pen, they are accepted by the other birds. I have my goal of 10 hens now, so hopefully I will be able to incubate loads of those eggs, and continue to count broody hatches as bonus chicks

I've kinda gathered that...lol
They even sleep outside. They have the fanciest of all the coops, with windows, curtains, stuffed animals...
roll.png
, and yet they pile up in the yard to sleep. My first batch did that, and every chick hatched for the last 3 years has done the same. I don't know if that's a silkie thing, or mine are just extra special
wink.png

I know they can't fly, and like low roosts. They have them, but they don't use them. That's really what started me building the framed and covered roofs over half of my pens. Had to do something to keep DAISYs dry
gig.gif

Congrats sc, on your new silkies. They are adorable! My silkies make a funky honking sound instead of a peep/chirp like the other chicks. They are definitely a strange bird lol. Sorry about the chicks you lost.
I bought some nest boxes at RK to add to my coop today. Could have built them, but I think these were cheaper/easier to buy. Just have to cut out the side of my coop and add them. My silkies should start laying soon I think. I will try different flooring than what's in the coop. Glad to get that tip!

How was your egg hunt this morning Amy?? Lol

They even sleep outside. They have the fanciest of all the coops, with windows, curtains, stuffed animals...:rolleyes: , and yet they pile up in the yard to sleep. My first batch did that, and every chick hatched for the last 3 years has done the same. I don't know if that's a silkie thing, or mine are just extra special;)
I know they can't fly, and like low roosts. They have them, but they don't use them. That's really what started me building the framed and covered roofs over half of my pens. Had to do something to keep DAISYs dry:gig

Lol! Mine are always last in, but they do go in.

Congrats sc, on your new silkies. They are adorable! My silkies make a funky honking sound instead of a peep/chirp like the other chicks. They are definitely a strange bird lol. Sorry about the chicks you lost.
I bought some nest boxes at RK to add to my coop today. Could have built them, but I think these were cheaper/easier to buy. Just have to cut out the side of my coop and add them. My silkies should start laying soon I think. I will try different flooring than what's in the coop. Glad to get that tip!

How was your egg hunt this morning Amy?? Lol
I use mulch on the floor and pine shavings in the nest boxes, but I will still get errant eggs once in a while

Back
Top Bottom