She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

7 remaining and now 4 pips. If they all hatch today they will have hunting names since today is opening day for firearms.
I have been watching the temp and it has been steady between 100.2 - 101. 6

They are a mix of Peking, Rouen & KC. The one that hatched this morning looks like a Rouen Khaki.
Do you have a still air or fan forced incubator?

I bet the internal temperature was over 99.5 on average.

I just got back into it after 50 years,boy have things changed.Back then I had a incubator that looked like a giant cake pan.The top just lifted off,and there was no water.Now I have 2 little giants with still air,I. was going to get a better one next year,but I couldn't get any better results than I do now.I keep one incubator at 100 and one at 99.6.I only turn them once a day,sometimes twice.I also have different weeks in incubator since I was down to 2 hens.It hasn't seemed to matter,they just keep popping out.I am glad this is the last hatch.Ive gone from 3 birds to about 60 with 30 more babies in brooder and another incubator full.I had read that a still air should be kept between 101 and 103,but was scared temp might go up by itself and theres not much room for error. Should I add a fan if everything is working well now?

Last edited:
I just got back into it after 50 years,boy have things changed.Back then I had a incubator that looked like a giant cake pan.The top just lifted off,and there was no water.Now I have 2 little giants with still air,I. was going to get a better one next year,but I couldn't get any better results than I do now.I keep one incubator at 100 and one at 99.6.I only turn them once a day,sometimes twice.I also have different weeks in incubator since I was down to 2 hens.It hasn't seemed to matter,they just keep popping out.I am glad this is the last hatch.Ive gone from 3 birds to about 60 with 30 more babies in brooder and another incubator full.I had read that a still air should be kept between 101 and 103,but was scared temp might go up by itself and theres not much room for error. Should I add a fan if everything is working well now?
I wouldn't, but that's just my opinion; others may suggest differently. I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I just got back into it after 50 years,boy have things changed.Back then I had a incubator that looked like a giant cake pan.The top just lifted off,and there was no water.Now I have 2 little giants with still air,I. was going to get a better one next year,but I couldn't get any better results than I do now.I keep one incubator at 100 and one at 99.6.I only turn them once a day,sometimes twice.I also have different weeks in incubator since I was down to 2 hens.It hasn't seemed to matter,they just keep popping out.I am glad this is the  last  hatch.Ive gone from 3 birds to about 60 with 30 more babies in brooder and another incubator full.I had read that a still air should be kept between 101 and 103,but was scared temp might go up by itself and theres not much room for error. Should I add a fan if everything is working well now?

Don't change what works. Most of the advice and fancy equipment is for trying to get good results, so you're ahead of the game. You're hatching your own eggs too, that helps. Shipped eggs can be difficult.

Hi I have a problem and was told to come here. I have some shipped eggs and they have all hatched but one. It is malpositioned and externally pipped around 36 hours ago. It is moving but has not cheeped one time and I have been watching it closely. Its tapping and it moves around, but there is not any progress since the external pip.
I don't want it to get exhausted and die. I have been up all night rereading articles, but I still don't know what to do. The membrane is still white.
At this time, I'd read the assisted hatching article and proceed with caution.

So my egg turner isn't due to come out until tomorrow late morning and I have 3 that are now pipped. Should I completely remove the egg turner?

I would. Congrats on your hatch.
If you're having good results with what you're doing, why change it up. What is your hatching percentage? Less than 90, I'd consider there's room for improvement, otherwise,
clap.gif

If FF is done properly, aflatoxin should not be an issue. IMO, there can be more issues with mold in regular feed than with FF. The yeasts and bacteria in the ferment, as well as the acidity would make the FF less hospitable to mold, while a bag of feed sitting around in a high humidity environment would be quite prone to mold growth. But, if one is not comfortable using FF, or any other method of poultry management, then they shouldn't use it. They should stick with what they are comfortable with.

Day 14 Call eggs...

Shipped egg with saddle shaped air cell... not as big as it seems, lol...

Another shipped egg...

Waving webbed foot, lol...

Lady Greys egg...
thumbsup.gif

Oh, and...

A litle penguin!!! Gorgeous!

I wouldn't touch a thing if you are having good hatches. Wether it's standard proceedure or not.

I wouldn't, but that's just my opinion; others may suggest differently. I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
My motto right here! (Even when no one understands.) Why try something else when what you are doing is working for you?

Hi I have a problem and was told to come here. I have some shipped eggs and they have all hatched but one. It is malpositioned and externally pipped around 36 hours ago. It is moving but has not cheeped one time and I have been watching it closely. Its tapping and it moves around, but there is not any progress since the external pip.
I don't want it to get exhausted and die. I have been up all night rereading articles, but I still don't know what to do. The membrane is still white.
I am so sorry that no one was around to help last night. The weekends are kinda slow around here to begin with. Please, let us know what happened and if you still need help with anything.

Back
Top Bottom