She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

The new fan I have has a red, a black and a white wire, would the white be the speed sensor or something different?

Normally, yes. To safely test, use a 9v battery. Touch the red wire to the + and the black wire to the - and see if the fan spins. If so, then the white is speed sense and not needed.

I'm not good with electrical stuff, it's a replacement computer fan and I hooked a wire to each wire coming from the fan and wired it to a plug.

ETA: When I plugged it into the wall it came on for a split second and then cut off and I smelt an electrical type smell. There was no spark or anything it just came on and cut right back off.

you probably fried it megan what you did was hook a 12 volt fan up to a 120 volt electric system which is what your house . when Walnut talks about AC or DC . simple way to explain that is your truck is DC your house is AC if you look on the back of the computer fan it will tell you what it is . but almost computer fans are DC and twelve volts and most of the time take less than 3 or 4 amps a hole lot less than the head light in your truck . you need a 12 volt cordless phone charger . if you look on the charger where all the wrighting is it will tell what the output voltages is and how it is . but this will de a diagram or it will CP POS or CP NEG. CP= center pin on the back of the fan it will say 12v DC and the amps it takes to run it red wire most of the time is the negative wire .

you probably fried it megan  what you did was hook a 12 volt fan up to a 120 volt electric system which is what your house . when Walnut talks about AC or DC . simple way to explain that is your truck is DC your house is AC if you look on the back of the computer fan it will tell you what it is . but almost computer fans are DC and twelve volts and most of the time take less than 3 or 4 amps a hole lot less than the head light in your truck . you need a 12 volt cordless phone charger . if you look on the charger where all the wrighting  is it will tell what the output voltages is and how it is  . but this will de a diagram or it will CP POS   or CP NEG.  CP= center pin  on the back of the fan it will say 12v DC and the amps it takes to run it red wire most of the time is the negative wire .
Ahhhh, ok, now I see.

My chick is 19 days old. She is eating, drinking, and pooping normally. The knot feels hard. Any ideas???? Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom