She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Ok, I have a weird situation. My broody duck should be about to hatch her ducklings any day now. I'm not positive of the date, because she laid the eggs over a couple of weeks, and I noted that she started sitting more consistently on May 9th/10th, guessing a due date of around June 6th (in 3 more days!) but actually it could happen any time, because she sat on them partially over those initial 2 weeks. So anyway....

I found an egg in her pool yesterday. Submerged, but intact membrane, almost no shell. Pieces of shell around the air cell end, but the rest was just membrane. I assumed she had just laid it. I know it wasn't there the day before. So I took it inside to dispose of it. As I was about to drop it in my kitchen sink garbage disposal, I realized it was kinda dark and heavy. So I candled it, and it was one of the eggs she had been sitting on!!! It was obviously dead, very soaked from laying in the pool, but it looked to be a very developed duckling. I haven't opened it yet. Was debating about it, but I know I will do it this evening. (probably within the plastic bag?)

But why would she have done this? It could not have been easy for her to get it in the pool. Its probably 60 feet away from her nest, plus the sides of the pool are 15" high, they have steps to get in and out. So how did she get it in there, and why?? Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

@RavynFallen @Lacrystol @Pyxis @TurksPoultry

Could a little critter have carried it away and dropped it?? That is weird.

Could a little critter have carried it away and dropped it?? That is weird.

Possibly. My sister-in-law asked the same question. Raccoon, skunk, possum? But I would have expected it to be busted, at least! Those membranes are tough, but not too tough for little critter paws.

Unless it was still alive at that point and scared the critter by moving?
hu.gif

Possibly. My sister-in-law asked the same question. Raccoon, skunk, possum? But I would have expected it to be busted, at least! Those membranes are tough, but not too tough for little critter paws.

Unless it was still alive at that point and scared the critter by moving?
hu.gif
I just picture the rat in Charlotte's web that was taking the eggs, (of course, he just took the rotten ones, because he was good....lol) It was Charlotte's web, right??? lol

Ok, I have a weird situation. My broody duck should be about to hatch her ducklings any day now. I'm not positive of the date, because she laid the eggs over a couple of weeks, and I noted that she started sitting more consistently on May 9th/10th, guessing a due date of around June 6th (in 3 more days!) but actually it could happen any time, because she sat on them partially over those initial 2 weeks. So anyway....

I found an egg in her pool yesterday. Submerged, but intact membrane, almost no shell. Pieces of shell around the air cell end, but the rest was just membrane. I assumed she had just laid it. I know it wasn't there the day before. So I took it inside to dispose of it. As I was about to drop it in my kitchen sink garbage disposal, I realized it was kinda dark and heavy. So I candled it, and it was one of the eggs she had been sitting on!!! It was obviously dead, very soaked from laying in the pool, but it looked to be a very developed duckling. I haven't opened it yet. Was debating about it, but I know I will do it this evening. (probably within the plastic bag?)

But why would she have done this? It could not have been easy for her to get it in the pool. Its probably 60 feet away from her nest, plus the sides of the pool are 15" high, they have steps to get in and out. So how did she get it in there, and why?? Anybody have any ideas or thoughts?

@RavynFallen @Lacrystol @Pyxis @TurksPoultry

Raccoon would be my bet.

somad.gif
Dangit. Those aren't the replies I was hoping for! LOL! But wonder why it didn't bust?

Now I'm worried about the ducklings when they hatch (IF they hatch)

Guess I'll put the live trap back out tonight.

OH!... I do have electric fence around the duck pen. 6 inches from the ground, and another 6-8(?) inches above that. And I know it works, you can guess how. Would that not deter a coon?

somad.gif
Dangit. Those aren't the replies I was hoping for! LOL! But wonder why it didn't bust?

OH!... I do have electric fence around the duck pen. 6 inches from the ground, and another 6-8(?) inches above that. And I know it works, you can guess how. Would that not deter a coon?
storm-above-emoticon.png

:mad:     Dangit.  Those aren't the replies I was hoping for!  LOL!   But wonder why it didn't bust?

OH!...  I do have electric fence around the duck pen.  6 inches from the ground, and another 6-8(?) inches above that.  And I know it works, you can guess how.  Would that not deter a coon?

Can you set up a bit of wire to kinda fence her in? Does Tiggy still have open access to her too?

Btw, this poster PMed me and she left the 'ling in a cup in the bator for a day... last I heard it was running around better, faster and eating more than the ones that hatched before it...

Just wanted to update anyone who was worried that she might have listened to some inexperienced advice, since I finally found out which thread she had posted on... :)

Back
Top Bottom