shipping hatching eggs???

Quote:
what you just described happen constantly here without checkpoints/ ( chicken cops )
smile.png
on the state lines it seems impossible to enforce
smile.png

Well according to the TSA web page there is no problem bringing eggs on the plane. Seems to me they would know but you may be right. I'm not going to get involved in that and I hope no one here does either. Seems to me there is always some twit who messes it up for everyone else.

The eggs I shipped and got all had hatching eggs written right on the box. Please leave well enough alone.

Rancher

Quote:
This web site is for Minnisota not every state. It looks to me that if you are exporting FROM MN to another state. This may not apply to every state. Not all state laws are the same.

Please just leave it alone.

Rancher

Quote:
Sounds like it's only if you are sending chicks/birds that the post office may block the shipment. I don't honestly see how they (they...lol, who? the government I guess) could block egg shipments. Most eggs we've received did not say anything on the box about eggs being in them.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are NOT going overboard. You need to read this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463442&p=1

There
are some states that have really clamped down and if import eggs or birds from out of state you can get in a peck of trouble. WA and VA seem to be the worst. At least one of our BYCers has been given a warning.

I will be thrilled to see sellers posting that kind of information when they sell their eggs and birds. I live in WA and will need to have documentation that shows that what I'm bringing in to the state has been tested negative for PT and AI.

This is the way things are probably going to be in the future for many of us...

Thanks for sharing that great resource! In browsing through it, I never see eggs listed. Are fertile eggs considered legally to be poultry?
I don't sell hatching eggs, I buy them. All of that additional info. on that listing just made me curious. I've never seen any info. about all of that anywhere before. I see a lot of people listing eggs say they are NPIP and recently I've seen several potential bidders ask if the seller is NPIP. Which confuses me since I did not think that Pollorum or Typhoid passed through eggs. And as far as I know, and I could be completely wrong, most states NPIP program does not test for MS or MG, which can pass via eggs. So I'm not sure why buyers are asking about NPIP, unless the buyer is trying to be within their state guidlines, but I'm guessing that most folks are like me and had no idea these regulations even existed. Or they don't consider eggs to be poultry.

I never realized it til they stepped up enforcement hardcore last year. At our first spring swap in February of 2010, Dr. Brian Ziemer was the first one through our gates. He's the MN Board of Animal Health coordinator. He came in and gave speches at most of the major swaps last spring. We either follow their rules or get shut down...period. Last fall with the major shows, same rules. Follow their rules or forget the show.

Some states consider hatching eggs differently. Some could care less... Here in MN to import eggs in, you have to have an NPIP 9-3 form as well as an import permit already on file with the state. Yes PT is transferred through eggs....

Some states require NPIP testing only for PT. Others are more stringent and want testing for AI, MS, or MG. You have to know where you are shipping to as for what they require. I can be NPIP certified up here in MN, but I am only certified for PT only. If I want to send to states like WA or VA, I have to pay to have all my birds tested and get make sure my flock is free from those as well.

As an NPIP participant, I can only buy from other NPIP flocks for the most part too. If I get birds from other sources, they have to be completely separated from my flock, get all them blood tested, and get them approved by the district vet before they can be combined with your other birds. District vet only comes out once a year for inspections....​

Quote:
This web site is for Minnisota not every state. It looks to me that if you are exporting FROM MN to another state. This may not apply to every state. Not all state laws are the same.

Rancher

That is just the overall list of rules for sending to each state. If you want the specifics, then you have to call the individual BAH for each one. I can also give you the page for the specific IMPORT rules for MN. http://www.bah.state.mn.us/bah/rules/import-regulations.html

the laws are on the books, but most egg shipments are not enforced, but if your birds turn up with lets say Pullorum, and if was found out that they came from an out of state source from birds that where not tested it will be your butt in the vice not the shipper, my birds are tested so my eggs are clean, but I'm not NPIP can't afford it ($80+testing). when you buy eggs you are taking a chance paper work can be forged, or birds not tested even with the paper work, for most of us going to the trouble of getting permit from every state is not worth it, but the chioce is yours you are taking the risk, if you want paper work don't buy with out it

Quote:

Rancher

Rancher, you can't just stick your head in the sand on this one.

The link you were given has requirements for ALL states. You need to look at it.

My understanding is when an NPIP seller ships eggs or birds, they have to submit paperwork to their state officials. That paperwork includes the name and destination state of the buyer, and the paperwork is forwarded to THAT state's officials. A buyer in WA and a seller in VA could BOTH be fined if they don't have the proper paperwork and proof of negative tests.

You need to read this thread carefully: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463442&p=1.

This
is not a situation where we can "just leave it alone".

Last edited:
Our state vet told me, in error, that if I buy only from NPIP hatcheries that I will be guaranteed a clean flock. I emailed the big four and every one of them replied that they do not guarantee MS/MG free and that they only test "periodically" their parent stock.

And Rancher, I'm not trying to "start something" at all. Just curious. I'm curious because it is apparently the law, but not one that is enforced or well known. I'm guessing (and I really am GUESSING) that the states that are ramping up their enforcement are states with larger commercial poultry interests who don't want to see their industry suffer. But who knows.

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are NOT going overboard. You need to read this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463442&p=1

There
are some states that have really clamped down and if import eggs or birds from out of state you can get in a peck of trouble. WA and VA seem to be the worst. At least one of our BYCers has been given a warning.

I will be thrilled to see sellers posting that kind of information when they sell their eggs and birds. I live in WA and will need to have documentation that shows that what I'm bringing in to the state has been tested negative for PT and AI.

This is the way things are probably going to be in the future for many of us...

in my opinion yes they are

Back
Top Bottom