shock collar for runaway dog?

Quote:
My Chow mix keeps "steady" pressure on it all the time. She has such a mane though, it's unlikely that she feels much of it. The action of the links still works if you turn the collar on backwards (prong ends facing out) so that could be an option as well.
The difference with her on prong vs. flat collar is night and day, and she actually seems to prefer the prong. She gets muddy signals from a flat collar.

from the sounds of things she thinks she is the leader and you are her follows some good training for everyone, if you can watch Victoria Stillwell, and even Cesar Mullen(not talking about putting dog on its back or anything just body language and how to use a leash and pinch collars) has some good tools to get dogs to walk on the leash. she needs to know who's in charge Maybe see if there is a lab trainer since they are retriever type dogs giving the dog a "job" helps with the energy I am sure that she is just bored and very frustrated with all that energy if your husband can't or won't train then see if there is a lab rescue close by that might take the dog. the dog needs exercise and strong discipline to get into line and not bolt.

I have not read all the posts, But a e collar (shock) is not a quick fix for anything. Don't get me wrong I use them everyday (pro trainer). The dog has to go though a three step introduction (with commands it already knows) to learn how to turn the collar off (ie, I do what my owner tells me and that thing on my neck stops). If you put one on a run away dog and hit the button he is going to try to run away from it (run faster) and he will because he will get out of range, now you just taught the dog to run farther and faster. You dog needs to learn to never pass through a door or gate without being told, this is taught pretty easy by opening the dooor and slamming it on his head when he tried to bolt ( of course with smaller dogs this is a bump). I have taught a lot of hard headed labs door manners and to back away when someone touches the door knob. Now you can reinforce with with an e collar (on a properly conditioned dog). But the first rule in my house and with any dog I have in the kennel for training is you do no go out a gate or door without permission.

update...me and noodles are going back to school! i have decided that since this stupid dog is so important to the husband and kids, i am willing to try and make it work! i am signing him up for some basic obedience classes and then i am going to start walking him. i have to at least give it a shot!
big_smile.png

Good for you!!!
big_smile.png
I'm so glad you've made that decision!
smile.png
I really hope that things work out well for you! Basic obedience classes will NOT be a cure all...but they are definitely a start in the right direction! Are you doing an obedience class through a private training facility or through like petco or petsmart or something?....just asking b/c a private trainer may be more helpful with your specific training problems than a trainer from a petstore. Ask them for tips and suggestions with the bolting.

If you can, I would try working with him for a little each day on a leash at doors (you can start with inside doors if that makes things easier)...make sure you have a good grip on him....have him sit, then simply open the door or window....second he goes for it give him a pop, tell him sternly "WAIT," and then shut the door...repeat until he DOES wait, then step towards the door yourself...if he moves tell him "WAIT" again, shut the door and try again....repeat until he's waiting long enough for you to get out the door....once he's to the point of sitting and waiting until you are out the door....then you can give him a release command of "OK" or whatever you choose to use and that means he's allowed through the door. Do not EVER allow him through an outside door before you! Do it once and you blow the training (same goes if the kids or hubby do it!)!

For windows I'd wait till you start some leash training...once he's ok on a leash this is how I'd work with him....open a window in a room that he's not currently in...put him on a leash outside the room and then bring him in and try to walk past the window from a good distance....if he tries to approach it at all tell him sternly "NO" and give him a pop then praise him if he looks away from or ignores the window. If he starts doing well with that move him closer and closer to the window walking PAST it without stopping. Once he's able to walk past without reacting to it....start slowing down in front of it to give him a second to consider it....again if he tries in any way to go for the window tell him "NO" and keep moving till he stops. Keep working towards being able to have him standing in front of the window without any interest in going towards it.

It will be a LOT of work to get him to stop bolting.......exercise will help decrease his drive to do it...but it won't stop him....he will need training at the doors and windows!

I have a dog like yours, I put in an in-ground dog containment fence and with a little training the dogs now stay in the yard, best idea they've come up with yet, they also make a wire-less system but due to the buildings and hills I had to go with an in-ground fence, worth every penny!

oh i didnt name him...he lucked out..the girl wanted to name him carly!
lol.png

i call him "dammit noodles" when i find stuff hes eaten or when hes running down the road...i bought him this fancy dog toy to keep him from chewing stuff...and i still dont know what he did to this poor thing, i found shreds of it and of foam all over the back yard the other day!

there are several classes here in town, just have to pick one i guess.

update...me and noodles are going back to school!

Good for You! He might end up being a really great dog! Is he fixed? He could be after a girlfriend down the road. It does sound like he needs more exercise.​

Back
Top Bottom