Show Breeds for County Fair

Leine

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2017
FL, USA
I am just signing up for FFA at my high school, and am interested in showing chickens at the county fair. I am entirely new to the whole show chicken thing, and don't know what breed to get. Any suggestions? (I would prefer bantams)

Hello There,
I do not have any experience with showing either... Maybe one day I will... So sorry in advance if I am no help! One of my friends on here shows Bantam Cochin's.

I hear and see that they are gorgeous birds, a lot of people use them for showing! I often wonder if Brahma (bantams) are good for showing too!
And my last breed suggestion could be Old English Game Bantam's; it may be far off, but I assume it is well worth the try! :D

Hope this help! I wish you the best of luck!

Sincerely,
-The Angry Hen

Thank you! :) I have actually owned both Brahma and Cochin bantams (frizzle Cochin shown in avatar photo), and like both breeds. However, I am looking to reach out to a breed I haven't had before.

I had wanted to do an Ayam Cemani, but found on other threads that they aren't the best show breed. They were said to be timid. But the Old English Game Bantams sound interesting. I think I'll look into that.

Thank you! :) I have actually owned both Brahma and Cochin bantams (frizzle Cochin shown in avatar photo), and like both breeds. However, I am looking to reach out to a breed I haven't had before.

I had wanted to do an Ayam Cemani, but found on other threads that they aren't the best show breed. They were said to be timid. But the Old English Game Bantams sound interesting. I think I'll look into that.

I am glad to have helped a bit! :) That's nice.They are good breed.
Yeah... I heard the same.

Okay, that sounds good! Please tell me what you think of them!

-The Angry Hen

No matter what you choose, get them from a breeder who knows what he's talking about, not a hatchery--they lie, they cross breeds, and they care about how pretty the chicken is, not the breed standard. Just look at some of the rants about bantam d'uccles on here sometime. Perhaps you could ask other people in 4H if they know reliable breeders.

I personally raise and love OEGBs. Despite my recent 17:5 male/female hatch ratio.

Back
Top Bottom