Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Bull dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pit bulls

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

Thank you, please forgive my double postings, I'm really not good at this technology thingy lol

Articles from the Doberman Parent Club- but many are not breed specific. Many of the parent clubs will have articles on showing, training, breeding, etc that can be useful even if you don't have that breed. Purina used to have webinars on showing also. http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/articles/35-conformation

I like Michelle Santana's articles. Her articles work fairly well for any of the Working Group.

Once the dog is trained, you can hand them off to almost anyone to show ;) Easier to teach one at a time, dog or handler, than it is to teach both from the beginning.

well it won't let me vote.
I show GSDs. Well, dabble in conformation but Singe hates it. We do mostly performance events

In the past I showed dogs for many years and several breeds including Miniature Pinschers, Beagles, Afghan Hounds, Poodles Toy and Standard Wire Fox Terriers, Irish Terriers and GSD. All were shown in AKC confirmation shows except the GSD. Before you even buy a dog first decide on your breed, be sure the breed fits into your life style and is a dog you can live with because first and foremost it will be your pet. Go to dog shows, watch your chosen breed, talk to breeders and owners. Do your research, find out if most dogs are owner handler finished or shown by professional handlers. What the top professional handlers in your area, pay attention to how they dress, how the dogs are groomed and conditioned, how the dogs are presented if possible apprentice under a handler to learn the ropes.

Learn all you can and save your money to buy the best possible dog you can afford don't skimp on quality. Be prepared to travel 2 or 3 weekends a month or more. If you are serious about it find a mentor and let them help you. This is NOT a cheap hobby it is not uncommon to spend $300 or more a weekend on travel expenses, entry fees so forth. You will need proper clothes not a pair of jeans and t-shirt but dress clothes. It is fun and some of the best times I ever had were at a dog show but at the same time it is heart breaking and I have seen many people come and go.

Back
Top Bottom