• Bull dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pit bulls

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Hi there,
I started showing dogs in my late teens (many moons ago!) and currently show Newfoundlands and beagles in both conformation and multiple performance events. In general, a junior that shows they are serious about the sport, comes to and/or volunteers at events and is willing to learn has a far better chance at being mentored. While you are waiting for or saving for your puppy it's a great time to go to events, club functions, etc. and make contacts. I know many juniors that started with nothing more than a love of dogs and are now assisting professional handlers. Good luck and welcome to the craziness that is the dog show world.

I have friends specialing dogs that spend $25K a year. I owner handle so that saves a lot! Entry fees, gas and hotels are the big expenses. I only do AKC conformation and obedience, other venues in agility. My breed specific sports are a whole 'nother batch of $$$... Still, if the dogs and I didn't enjoy it I wouldn't do it. They are my pets first and foremost.

stemrose, I know you're excited but I think that you are still looking at this all wrong if you want to get a show dog.

a breeder that you want to get a show quality pup from isn't likely to advertise with descriptions like "cute" or what color the puppies eyes are. They will talk about the parents health and titles, working ability, and if the pup is considered a possible show prospect, working prospect or for a pet home.

Also, since show prospects are generally decided upon until 8-9 weeks, it's a matter of the draw if you get a certain color. Of course, you can wait until a good breeder has a show prospect pup that happens to be the color you want but it could be a LONG wait. I mean 3, 4, 5 years or longer since good breeders don't usually breed often and will often shy away from someone who's first words is "I want this color"
You can shorten your wait by finding a breeder who frequently produces the colors you prefer but even then it's a matter of matching the right pup to you.

Don't get an "ok" pup if you want a show dog. Get the best pup that you possibly can, even if it means a longer wait. Conformation isn't for the thin-skinned nor is it kind to those who buy an "ok" dog and try to show. It can be very discouraging to pay money for someone to tell you everything that is "bad" about your dog lol

there are many breeders in the US who title "both ends" of the dog before breeding. You just have to know where to look.

If you are going to import a dog, you also have to know where to look. Not all of those SCH titles are created equally lol
Nothing like listening to a GSD group talk about midnight trials to get an SCH on a showdog.
I guess that can be said of any dog and any title, of course. So you really have to know the breeder and what went into getting that dog titled.

I know breeders of many different breeds who work their dogs. UKC is also a good place to look if you want to find a breeder who does work and conformation.

I want to know how many people want to show or do show dogs. What breed? Do you have any tips for the newbies,

Hey Stern. I am a newbie as well, and the only tip I can give you is to read your chosen breeds standard, watch videos of your breed being judged, go to shows without your dog at first and watch, talk to handlers after they are done in the ring, and if you go to classes make absolutely sure they know how your breed is shown. I say this because I was late finding conformation trainers where I live, so I paid for some privates and then discovered I was being taught how to show a German Shepard, not a Siberian. So now my pup and I have to unlearn some stuff. It has really messed us up in training.

I too would be greatful for any tips experienced handlers and breeders can give me about showing dogs.

Hi there,
I own a beautiful black and white border collie called Gale
I show her in local shows, and my daughter shows her in young handler
Although Gale much prepares chasing ball lol:D

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

Back
Top Bottom