• Bull dogs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pit bulls

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
I have few serious questions;
1 should I email that breeder? There somewhat to faraway but I think I can convince mom and dad if the time is right.
2 do they seem like the breeder I should be looking for?

I have few serious questions;
1 should I email that breeder? There somewhat to faraway but I think I can convince mom and dad if the time is right.
2 do they seem like the breeder I should be looking for?

Yes and yes. I knew more about Chances R back when Chance was showing, but it looks like Copper Ridge, Copper Hill http://www.copperhillaussies.com/index.html and Chances R have similar looks and share some of the same dogs. All three also have a fair number of herding and agility titled puppies as well as dogs listed on OFA.

It doesn't hurt to have a long (more than a year) conversation with a good breeder or two. You can learn from them and they can learn about you. They can mentor you about what to look for and what to stay away from, you can learn their philosophy on breeding, choosing mates and choosing puppies as well as training tips and more.

You never know- they may end up showing at your local show and you can meet them and their dogs. If conversations go well, you *might* end up with one of their puppies or they may have a better suggestion *for you*. Dogs are not "one size fits all" and the dog who you like the looks of may temperamentally be a mismatch. There are many breeds that I like how they look or act but would not want to live with one. And some that would take a while for me to love the looks but I adore their personality.

The red merles are beautiful too - sometimes a beautiful color can "set off' a dog in the ring. One that stands out next to a sea of blue merles or whatever, color is most popular.

Last edited:
Yes and yes. I knew more about Chances R back when Chance was showing, but it looks like Copper Ridge, Copper Hill http://www.copperhillaussies.com/index.html and Chances R have similar looks and share some of the same dogs. All three also have a fair number of herding and agility titled puppies as well as dogs listed on OFA.

It doesn't hurt to have a long (more than a year) conversation with a good breeder or two. You can learn from them and they can learn about you. They can mentor you about what to look for and what to stay away from, you can learn their philosophy on breeding, choosing mates and choosing puppies as well as training tips and more.

You never know- they may end up showing at your local show and you can meet them and their dogs. If conversations go well, you *might* end up with one of their puppies or they may have a better suggestion *for you*. Dogs are not "one size fits all" and the dog who you like the looks of may temperamentally be a mismatch. There are many breeds that I like how they look or act but would not want to live with one. And some that would take a while for me to love the looks but I adore their personality.

Ok, and what would a "Normal" price for a good show pup? About $1,500?

Ok, and what would a "Normal" price for a good show pup? About $1,500?

I'm sorry, I don't know the prices for Aussies.

Usually a good breeder either picks the dog for the novice buyer or gives them a few choices. They know the dogs, their temperament and expected final looks. If you've already met some of the dogs from that breeder and they pick the puppy out for you, the pup can be flown in. This only works if it's a good breeder that lnows their dogs and you've spent time talking with them so they know what you need.

This is about Tervs and working temperament but it's the same basic idea for a conformation dog, it's a dog/handler team. The best dog for you is the one that you mesh with the best.http://www.spritebelgians.com/philos/art4.shtml

We talked about Sue Ailsby the other day, she's teaching some on-line conformation skills classes at Fenzi Academy. http://www.fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/people/92

I have a full coat shih tzu (kept in show coat), but she's spayed so I have to stick with 4-h shows. With an already insane male puggle in the house we decided it'd be best for him to have her spayed. He's neutered but still has some hormones. Do I still count?

even if she is still too far away there is no harm in contacting her. There are so many arrangements that I have seen done - meeting halfway. meeting at a show. flying in a pup.

if you have to wait until you get out on your own before getting the show dog you want, then so be it. Honestly, if your parents aren't 100% on board and every bit as eager as you are with the "dog show bug" No breeder is going to be jumping at the chance to give you one of their best pups.

My big problem with most "show dogs" is that while they are pretty, have scads of hair and may appear to be well put together (hair can be deceiving) can they do the job the breed was intended to do?? in my humble opinion to make an Aussie worthy of being called an Aussie takes more that a CH before the name, I want to see herding titles behind the name, however most breeders do not do that because it is a lot of hair to have in the pasture herding livestock. My last breed was German Shepherd Dogs, not the American dogs but imported dogs who to get titles on both ends such as a V, VA, or SG in front and Ssch or IPO on the end. To give you an idea a GSD puppy from titled German Bloodlines will start at $2500 and go up.

Back
Top Bottom