Show me your quail pens!!!

Pics
heres one of my quail pens this one I built in a day's work not to brag

heres one of my quail pens this one I built in a day's work not to brag
Nice portable pens!

Make sure if your birds must put their heads out to eat that they are protected from predator attack by wire over the feeders you may go out to check on your birds one day and find their heads have been munched on.

We've done ours aviary style, I wanted to show you all to see what you think and if I could maybe improve it?

Since this photo was taken all the wire and the roof is on c:
It's 6ft square, with one side backed onto a solid wall. Wire is the mouse proof kind of wire so the holes are really small, no predator can stick their muzzles, claws in through it and pull/harm the quail. Since we don't have foxes around here, I think the only real predators are the cats and the sparrow hawk who comes by every few months.
We didn't know what else to use for a floor, wood would of gotten wet and rotten, and natural grass wouldn't of been easy to clean or replace. So we went for solid patio slabs, which I'm going to cover with bark chips, sand and some nice soil. Is that ok? They have plenty of things to scratch around in then, and they can sand bathe in the sand parts.

I thought it would be good for them to get some natural cover, so we've left this part of the cage as it was and we're going to plant lots of nice plants in it for them. It should look a lot better next year when the summer comes around again! We have a few little ferns, and an a little rosemary/corriander in there at the moment. We cut back part of a huge climbing plant that grew all along the wall, so by next summer it should of grown back and should cover some of the roof to help keep out harsh sun/rain/weather. I read that they like to chase and eat small bugs like Woodlice and Spiders, so that's why I left it as natural as I could, so it would attract those little insects for them.

Something similar to this is going in there too, so they can go inside if they need to. The roof lifts off easily for cleaning. I'm thinking about using straw or hay to line it with inside so its warmer. C:

The only thing I worry about is that they might get frightened and hit there heads on the ceiling. Hopefully they will grow used to the sounds of the garden (it's usually quite quiet) and be ok.

awesome coops everyone. I am about to get quail and was on her of coop ideas and will post once i get them built. one question. Do the raised coops keep them for piling up in a corner and smothering each other? I was reading, yea improbably in overload, and there were post on quail being bad about smothering each other in corners of a pen. Promise to post pen pics later

Hello All

New to the forum but since i just finished the first half of my new cages thought id share here ...
they can hold 24 quail each ... have roll out eggs and full automatic water system with heater in winter.

Back
Top Bottom