Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop it dead in its tracks, but I went and checked anyhow to make sure and it was a miss. First shot I've missed in years.

I even went as far as making sure it wasn't the gun afterwards and it's dead on oh well.

Drop it dead in its tracks, but I went and checked anyhow to make sure and it was a miss. First shot I've missed in years.

I even went as far as making sure it wasn't the gun afterwards and it's dead on oh well.
Neck shots leaves a lot of room for error don’t ya think? You have to hit the spinal cord which a lot of times requires a follow up shot. A lot depends on caliber and bullet type but you ain’t tearing up hardly any meat if any if shot through the lungs. May have to look for the deer for a few minutes but that’s better than missed or worse wounded.

I know a lot of guys with bigger calibers shoot through the shoulders but that has to tear up a ton of meat. Pretty sure it drops em where they stood though. I only aim for one place. Right behind the shoulder. (Don’t always hit it though) lol.
On just about any animal the only 2 spots I know of that drops them dead within seconds. Is between the eyes bout 2 3/4 in high and the base of skull. Neither is a high percentage shot during hunting.

I usually aim for the heart which is what Ima do next time, I've taken 4 neck shots all dropped dead eventually you'll miss and I did and I know I did lol. Stupid deer had her nose to the ground for 5mins just didn't won't her jumping the fence on someone else's property up the ridge.

I haven’t missed a deer yet. I have made some terrible shots though with a bow. All recovered thankfully.
Now with a gun I’ve missed a fox once or twice and ducks I miss way more than I hit by far.

I thought it was common practice to head shoot does for meat. May only be a here thing.
Nah it is common. I’m asking why they do it. If shot in the vitals no meat is ruined. My belief is it’s the fact the hunter may have to blood trail them a little ways. The head/neck is an overall smaller target and more deer are missed this way guaranteed as opposed to shooting a deer in the lungs. Neck shots can end up just paralyzing them requiring another shot.

I usually aim for the heart which is what Ima do next time, I've taken 4 neck shots all dropped dead eventually you'll miss and I did and I know I did lol. Stupid deer had her nose to the ground for 5mins just didn't won't her jumping the fence on someone else's property up the ridge.
I am always worried about that when bowhunting. That pic I posted yesterday is right on the border. There’s all swamp and somebody else’s property. I figure I have a fifty fifty shot of them staying on mine. lol I’m going to get it either way lol

I only aim for the head in two instances.
1) when hunting with a boomerang on Tuesday evenings
2) when taking birds in flight with flu flu arrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom