Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long can i leave these guys together in their little pen?
That may depend on strain. Assuming they are like mine, then you have 30 to 90 days before separation becomes mandatory.

I look closely at tail feathers. Feathers of greatest interest are the two sickle feathers at top. When chicken matures from hatch to adulthood it goes through three feather sets. First is usually brown with extensive barring and tail feathers begin to be replaced by about 7 weeks. The next set are darker and on tail can be used to tell sexes apart. It takes about 6 weeks for those feathers to mature. When those sickles are mature, they look like those on your stags. They will drop soon and be replaced by longer shinier version which will be retained in first adult feather-set through molt next fall. As those feathers come in and near setting, hormone changes are going to start making so stags will be rough on each other. My recommendation is to separate before those new sickles feathers are fully in.

I also like to have stags running free through that time. I am of the opinion that free-ranging until most mature makes for a healthier adult.

That may depend on strain.  Assuming they are like mine, then you have 30 to 90 days before separation becomes mandatory.

I look closely at tail feathers.  Feathers of greatest interest are the two sickle feathers at top.  When chicken matures from hatch to adulthood it goes through three feather sets.  First is usually brown with extensive barring and tail feathers begin to be replaced by about 7 weeks.  The next set are darker and on tail can be used to tell sexes apart.  It takes about 6 weeks for those feathers to mature.  When those sickles are mature, they look like those on your stags.  They will drop soon and be replaced by longer shinier version which will be retained in first adult feather-set through molt next fall.  As those feathers come in and near setting, hormone changes are going to start making so stags will be rough on each other.  My recommendation is to separate before those new sickles feathers are fully in. 

I also like to have stags running free through that time.  I am of the opinion that free-ranging until most mature makes for a healthier adult.

You have been so helpful, thank you! I can't let them out because we live in town, like, hear the neighbors flush the toilet in town LOL LOL... and dogs running lose all over the place. Hubby built me a nice 8x8 shed/hen house and a connected 10x10 pen for them. He says if i get rid of the chickens he can have a real nice shed for his mower and tools! I guess its time for me to pick one of the stags to keep with the hens then and give the other one away. I just got started with the chickens in October and I'm still asking a lot of probably basic questions, but again thank you for your help.

Yes, reduce to one stag and do it sooner than later.

You can compensate the tight confines in part by making so birds have a higher perch / roost to fly up to. With most games, they are also a lot easier to train than most chickens which can provide opportunities for more excersize. A few of my birds are outright pets that I use for public displays. Those I have trained to fly up for tasty morsels which they get excited over. Morsels used are live mealworms. Training is complete enough birds can be released from pen and they will follow me around and fly up into my hand on command.

so hey everyone my dog has a vendetta against chickens if i didnt pay so much for her i wouldve gotten rid of her already so anyone got any ideas how to deter a dog from killing chickens

so hey everyone my dog has a vendetta against chickens if i didnt pay so much for her i wouldve gotten rid of her already so anyone got any ideas how to deter a dog from killing chickens
I could not keep chickens, games or otherwise, without the aid of dogs. They are an invaluable aid with respect to predator management when free-ranging fowl.

Several methods employed and many threads dealing with subject.

Let a new momma have at the dog. Mine have tried the chickens several times when we first bought the property. But, the first time they went for a baby they learned their lesson the hard way. If not then you can you can try the shock collar method. Not near as fun but when he goes near then shock him til he gets the idea.

smile.png
good day

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom