Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For now maybe I'll toss that hen in with this wild man.

How many hens can a rooster keep fertal?

I have never pushed that. Mine can cover six hens in a single cycle without trouble. Duration might be an important consideration. My cocks perform lovin multiple times daily for about 2 weeks at most before given a rest. Cocks kept with groups of hens all the time seem have trouble staying in top feather. Free-range / walks cocks are more resistant to all the manly duties but some of that might be because no other cocks around that can cause stress. Cocks penned near other cocks cover hens more and some of mine harder on hens then too.

Last edited:
Thanks i was asking because I have 2 brood cocks that im going to be using in my Cuban breeding program next season but i have 15 hens that I want to breed to...

That's just the Cubans in Oct I'mgoing to our farm in miss and bringing some birds down here I'll pick the best Murphy on the yard for a brood cock down here and I want to grab a few of the green jeans grays I like to have a gray to look at especially a green leg one....

never miss a single post huh Paco
if im not on to read something i go through everything i missed later on whenever i have time even if its late lol
You guys go through some good stuff and know your stuff and i dont want to miss something someday that could be important or good learning for my birds

That's just the Cubans in Oct I'mgoing to our farm in miss and bringing some birds down here I'll pick the best Murphy on the yard for a brood cock down here and I want to grab a few of the green jeans grays I like to have a gray to look at especially a green leg one....

Are you going to bring back any Murphy hens or pullets to cross back too?

Thanks i was asking because I have 2 brood cocks that im going to be using in my Cuban breeding program next season but i have 15 hens that I want to breed to...

When you do the breeding can you stagger so only some hens are being used at any given time? It would setup for what are called cohorts where you have groups of biddies all about the same age within a given cohort. Biddies within a given cohort all require the same type of resources making so management easier. I also have to do the multiple cohort thing because simply not enough space. By the time second cohort is ready to start the first is ready for the first round of weeding out culls. I try to start collecting eggs for second cohort when first is about 6 weeks post hatch. That also allows for retrying hens used in that were a bust in the first round.

Are you going to bring back any Murphy hens or pullets to cross back too?

I might grab one I'm really after the cocks i do want to set up a breeding pen of Larry's grays and some of those silver bullets I'm not really in to white birds but id like to give it a try i have a good mix of Murphy hens now once i get the new cock ill call in the wing bands and figer out who is who i had a bad hatch out of the Murphy's this past breeding season so i hope things go a little smother this time around....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom