Show Off Your American Gamefowl and Chat Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10 minutes after I released birds to free-range forage till dark, one of my game stags started acting odd near the pen of a cock. I thought it was going to time to confine the stag based on how he was holding his tail and the noises he made. Something was odd about where he was looking. Then he started running and stumbling through a good sized patch of ragweed making sound like produced when trying to take down a large grasshopper or Chinese Mantid. His sister tried to get in on action but could not get close enough to see what he was after. After about 30 seconds he captured and dispatched the mouse he was after. He was out of breath from the effort even though he never ran with it from his sister. As he stood over catch to get over the oxygen debt, I checked what he had, a pregnant House Mouse within a couple days of giving birth. I took it to show kids and the stag looked a little miffed.

View attachment 1522036

It was maybe a minute after mouse was dispatched before I got kids out to see what is afoot. We could still see movement in the pregnant mouse's abdomen. I then ripped the mouse open to liberate the fetuses so the kids could see them.
View attachment 1522036
View attachment 1522036
View attachment 1522036
The remains where then taken back to stag and his sister. He got the mouse and his sister got the fetuses. They juvenile chickens act very different when they have vertebrate prey items and do not even want to share with me. The stag took a good 5 minutes of processing before he ingested the mouse whole.
View attachment 1522036

Video of stag and sister snatching eats away.

F6A41489-9F0C-44E1-A27D-6DCB98FC97E6.jpeg

What would you all consider this? I know you can't tell blood lines. I was told it wouldn't be a brown red because of the white legs, however others have said brown red just means a brown breasted red fowl. Then i came across a standard of perfection article stating ginger reds can have white legs, pearl eyes and white in the tail wings and base of neck feathers.

Attachments

• 20180829_130222.jpg
    20180829_130222.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180829_130152.jpg
    20180829_130152.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180829_125844.jpg
    20180829_125844.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 7
What would you all consider this? I know you can't tell blood lines. I was told it wouldn't be a brown red because of the white legs, however others have said brown red just means a brown breasted red fowl. Then i came across a standard of perfection article stating ginger reds can have white legs, pearl eyes and white in the tail wings and base of neck feathers.
If the wheaton hen is kin to him, then he can be brown-breasted brown red by having pattern gene overlaying wheaten. The way it looks, mine can have the brown-breasted brown red look even when legs are blue. There are several ways to get the ginger look and hen and chick down coloration is how I distinguish them. Just because a given bird might appear ginger in isolation does not mean those following the standard of perfection religion will agree. I have three versions of ginger coming through pipe how and plan to take them to poultry and gamefowl shows this fall. The former show I think all will be disqualified in, especially if sibling pullets present.

If the wheaton hen is kin to him, then he can be brown-breasted brown red by having pattern gene overlaying wheaten. The way it looks, mine can have the brown-breasted brown red look even when legs are blue. There are several ways to get the ginger look and hen and chick down coloration is how I distinguish them. Just because a given bird might appear ginger in isolation does not mean those following the standard of perfection religion will agree. I have three versions of ginger coming through pipe how and plan to take them to poultry and gamefowl shows this fall. The former show I think all will be disqualified in, especially if sibling pullets present.

That's helpful. I was told by his last owner he is a Brown red. I posted him somewhere else just to show, with the term brown red and had people jumping my ass that he absolutely couldn't be a brown red because he has white legs. Or at least is not a "pure" brown red, which is fine cause i never claimed him as pure anything. Then it appeared that some people were talking about the brown red blood line vs brown red as a coloring only. And others jumping in that he has to be a cross vs how all fowl are at some point a cross anymore.With others saying do your research, which is great except that when i did research brown red as a blood line first i never came across anything against white legs. Turned a bit chaotic to say the least.

That's helpful. I was told by his last owner he is a Brown red. I posted him somewhere else just to show, with the term brown red and had people jumping my ass that he absolutely couldn't be a brown red because he has white legs. Or at least is not a "pure" brown red, which is fine cause i never claimed him as pure anything. Then it appeared that some people were talking about the brown red blood line vs brown red as a coloring only. And others jumping in that he has to be a cross vs how all fowl are at some point a cross anymore.With others saying do your research, which is great except that when i did research brown red as a blood line first i never came across anything against white legs. Turned a bit chaotic to say the least.
Brown reds are much darker with crow-winged pattern. Hens of brown reds have lots of black or dark brown on them. I try not to get too caught up in the strain name stuff, too much time and change of hands to now what you have with certainty.

I think the dark brown brown and black alleles cover up the white legs which is why many will have issue with a proper brown red having white legs.

Notice color of cocks breast below compared to breast of you bird. This guy's breast approaches black. Chicks I have had that were classified as brown reds started out as very dark brown at hatch. Another crow-winged variant that is not proper brown red hatches out nearly black like a Warhorse.
BRG4.JPG

Images on hen side pulled off google images.
1UREiZk.jpg

upload_2018-9-3_9-6-31.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom