Show Off Your Games!

20200826_192807.jpg

My bull stag is driving out my layer hens one by one. He killed the first one when I tried to add her back to the flock after a separation period. He broke her lower jaw, so she couldn't eat. I won't make that mistake again.

He has since driven out another one, a healthy Brahma hen I had to give away. He is now in the process of driving another hybrid layer from the flock, he attacks her, and then the other hens attack her. She is now missing one eye, and the stag is going in the pen tonight. I assume he is driving them out because they are 'different', and maybe not as receptive to him. Has anyone else free ranged their game cocks with layers and had this happen? I have a feeling he will have to go after he molts, I have 12 new stags to choose from, but I'm afraid this may be in the bloodline.
Mine get along with hens fine in free-range setting. When cock goes after a hen, most instances I have seen had something about the hens behavior that was off. She would often separate herself from balance of flock regardless.

Be watching for something that looks like Marek's Disease.

Mine get along with hens fine in free-range setting. When cock goes after a hen, most instances I have seen had something about the hens behavior that was off. She would often separate herself from balance of flock regardless.

Be watching for something that looks like Marek's Disease.
I wrote it off as a managing and culling of his own flock and decided maybe he knew best, but I'm wondering if this is going to continue until he has culled every layer hen that isn't one of his favorites. I wondered about Marek's as well, since I have had a few layer hens die of what seems like Marek's, but I haven't had any game hens get ill. The layers just seem like they have many more health problems, and succumb to illness much more easily. The hen he is driving out now has scaly legs, but I have not seen any mites, and the games don't exhibit any symptoms of scaly leg at all.

I just watched a hen be blown to the ground out of a 40’ high roost. It’s getting a little gnarly outside. The eye should pass in an hour or two. I’m trying to fight the good fight, I’ve got most of my brood fowl In secure pens. I have maybe a dozen brood hens loose that I turned out to freshen up. I hope they make it. My young birds go into some pens to roost so I’ve got them shut in and secured if they don’t start killing each other. So far no pens have blown over. So far. My brooder battery is full and under a good shed. If the wind doesn’t blow too much water on them I think they’ll be ok. I’ve got about 50 young stags penned in pens that may blow over but if I’m on top of it I can catch them before they mess their selves up. We will see I’m here for the ride

I wrote it off as a managing and culling of his own flock and decided maybe he knew best, but I'm wondering if this is going to continue until he has culled every layer hen that isn't one of his favorites. I wondered about Marek's as well, since I have had a few layer hens die of what seems like Marek's, but I haven't had any game hens get ill. The layers just seem like they have many more health problems, and succumb to illness much more easily. The hen he is driving out now has scaly legs, but I have not seen any mites, and the games don't exhibit any symptoms of scaly leg at all.
Amazing that those Games act like they’re APA judges disqualifying any diseased or faulty birds!

I really like the hardiness and vitality of Game hens.

I just watched a hen be blown to the ground out of a 40’ high roost. It’s getting a little gnarly outside. The eye should pass in an hour or two. I’m trying to fight the good fight, I’ve got most of my brood fowl In secure pens. I have maybe a dozen brood hens loose that I turned out to freshen up. I hope they make it. My young birds go into some pens to roost so I’ve got them shut in and secured if they don’t start killing each other. So far no pens have blown over. So far. My brooder battery is full and under a good shed. If the wind doesn’t blow too much water on them I think they’ll be ok. I’ve got about 50 young stags penned in pens that may blow over but if I’m on top of it I can catch them before they mess their selves up. We will see I’m here for the ride
What is your status?

What is your status?
I took a pretty good hit. I’m still assessing the damage. I had ten pens that the top was blown off. An oak tree about as big as a man can reach around, blew down but it fell between a series of pens and my goat shed. It took down a fence but, overall I’m pretty good. No real water issues. I was out catching brood cocks in the storm so I have them caught up. Got about 15 brood hens loose. I’m through breeding for the year so they can be out on grass freshening up.
It was stronger than I’d predicted. But I’m lucky. Could have been lots worse

I took a pretty good hit. I’m still assessing the damage. I had ten pens that the top was blown off. An oak tree about as big as a man can reach around, blew down but it fell between a series of pens and my goat shed. It took down a fence but, overall I’m pretty good. No real water issues. I was out catching brood cocks in the storm so I have them caught up. Got about 15 brood hens loose. I’m through breeding for the year so they can be out on grass freshening up.
It was stronger than I’d predicted. But I’m lucky. Could have been lots worse
I have had Mr. Fox come in after storms taking advantage of the fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom