Show Off Your Games!

Here are some pics of my three Cubalaya cockrels, I need hens/pullets, Lynn

10175_phot0081.jpg
10175_phot0104.jpg
10175_phot0109.jpg

They are from Ideal Hatchery but I like them, Lynn

I love game chickens and currently my fiancee and I have a pure Narragansett Hatch rooster over to grey hens and a grey rooster over a hatch hen and a grey hen. We will post some pics just a soon as we get some.
wink.png

speaking of cubalayas....

picked this pair of bantams up at a local auction. Compared to the aba standard they need some work, but I think they're a really good start. What you all think?

cubalayas.jpg

DSCN4379.jpg

my lil cousin will be showing them this fall for 4-H.

Quote:
Not bad, at least they look more cubalaya than OEGB. Tails need work for sure, should be below horizontal, continuous line from the head sloping downward....etc.

The coloring on the hen needs to be a cinnamon wheaten instead of the bbr coloring that she's showing.

Looks like you have the start of a good project there.
smile.png

eta: cubalaya coloring is wheaten based. So where one says they have a black breasted red cubalaya, it's really a wheaten. Interesting article on Backyard Poultry about it: http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-3/Charles_RH_Everett.html

Last edited:
Yep the tail definately needs work. I have the 2001 aba standard so I'm using it for reference and it has pics in it. There was 2 pair at the auction and I guess I should've tried harder to get the other pair, but at the time I was thinking "do I really need another project?"
roll.png
I also weighed the rooster the other day he's 10 oz. heavier then what the standard calls for. They were sold as b.b. red cubalayas but after reading I see what you're saying about the hen's color.

Quote:
Not bad, at least they look more cubalaya than OEGB. Tails need work for sure, should be below horizontal, continuous line from the head sloping downward....etc.

The coloring on the hen needs to be a cinnamon wheaten instead of the bbr coloring that she's showing.

Looks like you have the start of a good project there.
smile.png

Quote:
I edited my post above to provide a link about the coloring of cubalaya.
smile.png
The gentleman who wrote it has been breeding cubalaya for years.

Maybe someone started the project and realized it'd take longer than they thought to breed down the size? I'd love to know what they'd done to have gotten this far. I have a first gen oegb x cubalaya and he's not as close in shape as the cock you bought. I'll try and get a new photo of him, soon, since he's grown back the tail feathers a fox snatched from him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom