Show Off Your Games!

My friend who breeds Old english games told me a story
Their had been a fox hanging around his house for a few weeks and one night he heard some loud noises from the pen where his best quality rooster was, (he was a wheaten).. when he opened the pen door and shone the torch he saw his rooster dead, and a fox dead next to the rooster with holes in its head, so the rooster took his own life to save his girls from the fox.

Quote:
I've heard that story regarding largefowl games as well. Even heard of hens attacking snakes and hawks going after their chicks.

When I first moved here - I had one old game hen I brought with me that somebody had given me. She was black with red streaky neck . She was a character and I named her Jenny Jones. I gave her to the lady next door who had chickens so she wouldn't have to stay put up in a little pen all the time by herself. She immediately made a nest in a tree with a hollow in the bottom and raised several babies . She set again later that year under a smoker grill and raised another big batch of chicks for the neighbor. One day a hawk came and tried to take her babies. The lady came over that afternoon to tell me what happened. Jenny Jones and that hawk tied up . He pulled out most of her tail feathers but she kept fighting. The hawk finally decided to fly away but Jenny Jones must have really been mad. She grabbed the hawk by the tail and wouldn't turn loose . My neighbor said the old hawk was jumping and trying to run and get up in the air but Jenny Jones held on for dear life until finally a bunch of his tail feathers came out and he managed to escape.!! She took me out where the battle happened and showed me all the feathers scattered everywhere but Jenny was nearby scratching around with her chicks . She looked a little rough but was still taking care of her babies!!
When i first got her- I took her out of the cage and told the kdis to stretch her wing out so I could clip it . She immediately grabbed me by nipple and held on for dear life!! I managed to pull her off finally and then she grabbed me right under my arm in the tender meat part!! LOL Jenny didn't peck- She bit!!! If she got you --you had to pulllllllll her loose to make her let go. The kids didn't let me live that down for a long time!!!

does anyone has any pure for sale or any crosses for sale.. im looking to rebuild my flock after I had serveral snakes and coons kill my birds....i would like to know the cost of shipping too....i would also have to wait till mid dec to pay but i really need to get ready for spring hatching...

The temp. is really starting to drop here. I had a hen lay 8 eggs and quit with no signs of broodiness. I guess I'll be waiting till February now. Last year around this time I had her indoor and she hatched some chicks I figured since it had not been getting that cold outside she should be fine. Temps are ranging at night from about 45 to 55

Our night temps are in the 30's now, no broodiness here. I have a Dickey incubator but out of all my games only my Black OEGB is still laying. I hatched 2 chicks of her's a week ago and have three more eggs in the incubator, along with 50 bobwhite quail eggs.

My friend wanted to buy an incubator an split the cost. I just don't think I have the time to look after chicks. I always prefer the hen to watch over them for the first 5 weeks then I seperate them. I can see how having an incubator can be convinient though. It would be cool to have some chicks now they would be a nice size by March when it starts getting warm again.

Having the incubator actually works out well for me. I can hatch as many eggs as all of my hens lay, which gives me a big pool to choose from when selecting show birds. The rest I sell off.

Back
Top Bottom