Show Off Your Games!

Cock looks like a spangled hatch to me, if he's pea comb (looks to be) I'd say even more so.. I've never seen a pure WH come pea comb, even crossed WH's (at least ones bred back to the WH side more than 50/50) will come single/straight combed usually. Looks like some fine starter birds though, hope they work out for you. 

God bless,
Daniel. 

Yeah I was thinking spangled too. Not sure about the comb though. How can you tell once they're dubbed? I'm actually looking for a few good birds to start a line with, and would love to get some Asil if anybody is feeling generous ;)

Hello. I am trying to get into showing gamefowl in Alabama. If anyone can point me in the direction of shows in Alabama or a website stating the rules and regulations i would greatly appreciate the help.

Look up the Alabama Gamefowl Breeders Association on facebook. That's your best bet to start.
Ditto. April, 6th, at Jaycee's park in Tuscaloosa they are having the George Wood Memorial ALGBA poultry show. I thought of attending myself since I'm so close, might run into some old friends.. But, I doubt I make it.

Yeah I was thinking spangled too. Not sure about the comb though. How can you tell once they're dubbed? I'm actually looking for a few good birds to start a line with, and would love to get some Asil if anybody is feeling generous
wink.png
You can tell by where the base of the comb was originally, pea combed birds will have feathers from the front or mid-part of their eye back whereas a straight combed bird will have the bare skin straight down the middle of their head basically or at least past the eye.

I wish I had pictures to aide in my explanation, but I don't believe I have any.

God bless,
Daniel.

ETA:
Here's a couple crap photos, but hopefully you get the idea.
Pea combed bird:

Straight combed bird:

Last edited:
Ditto. April, 6th, at Jaycee's park in Tuscaloosa they are having the George Wood Memorial ALGBA poultry show. I thought of attending myself since I'm so close, might run into some old friends.. But, I doubt I make it. You can tell by where the base of the comb was originally, pea combed birds will have feathers from the front or mid-part of their eye back whereas a straight combed bird will have the bare skin straight down the middle of their head basically or at least past the eye. I wish I had pictures to aide in my explanation, but I don't believe I have any. God bless, Daniel. ETA: Here's a couple crap photos, but hopefully you get the idea. Pea combed bird: Straight combed bird: [/quote Ok makes sense. Thanks for the info. I do agree he looks more pea combed now that I know what I'm looking for. I usually prefer a straight comb personally, but he was free so I'm not arguing.

Quote: A lot of hatch families come both pea and straight combed, your hen is straight combed so the first generation unless he is straight combed or at least carries the gene will be pea combed; if you breed back to her though (or some other straight combed individual) you're likely to get mostly or all straight combed individuals at least in my experience. It all depends on the genetics your birds carry and how the genes manifest themselves.

God bless,
Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom