Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Helps as well that I've hatched so many chicks, and had success, and failure. And sometimes, you just have to have enough sense to listen.

This was a fun hatch, and I'll definitely do it again since I have access to really good turkey eggs in a variety of colors.

I think I'm done this year though. I'm tired, and all these chicks are wearing me out. They're always hungry, and always into something, lol.

I can already see these turkeys are going to be interesting. They have trouble written all over their little faces.

Trouble with a capital T
big_smile.png

Ya know, I'm tired too, and think my last hatch this season is wrapping up right now. Golden Sebrights, I hatched for a customer, and just a few lavender orpingtons for myself.

He has to be a super clean sport.

I really like him, whatever he is.

I finally got a good pic with my first broody and her 4 little ones

And one day, I went out to the pen and only saw one baby with her. The one beside her on the roost log. I said "Momma, where are the other 3?" She lifted her tail and showed me
big_smile.png

And none of the other chicks mess with them.
Since I have bitchy broody Maggie sequestered with her own eggs, she can't bother momma Harriet now.

They make great moms. I like how spacious your cages are. Wish I had room for 20 or so like that.

Thanks, I wish I had about 20 or so of them too!

I always heard OEGB's were good moms, and Harriet is really showing me as much. I think she spoiled me though. I have a few other broodies right now, and none have been as cooperative as she was. Well, my bantam cochin is, but I have a broody golden comet from h3ll. Whoda thunk it? She can have as many eggs as the others lay, because I'm not getting my arm bit off!
big_smile.png

By crossing the two what would that give me? Really I'm pretty clueless how the genetics work now by breeding the bb red to the red pyle would that make the sales darker red?

The white on a red pyle is dominant, in that it will cover up everything but red, which it will lighten. I've never bred spangled, so I don't know if that trait is simple recessive or not. You should get some normal red pyles, which when you breed those birds together will give you red pyles with spangled spots on the red. Could be pretty.

Depending on the quality of your BBR, you should get some prettier red pyles.

Just found out mine are in fact bb red and crele. That's what your mixes would look like^^ if you bred those two breeds

That would mean your roo only has one copy of that barred gene, which is co-dominant. Breed him to a female with a barred gene, and you should get some true crele. Creles are essentially BBR's with 2 barred genes. One gene gives you a level of barring, the second gene intensifies it.

That's really cool to know because my red pyles I feel like there saddles need to be a little darker red that's nice to know I can b improve that I really didn't know that so if I bred the bb red to the spangled would they all be bb red with the chance of showing the spangled trait?

That would mean your roo only has one copy of that barred gene, which is co-dominant. Breed him to a female with a barred gene, and you should get some true crele. Creles are essentially BBR's with 2 barred genes. One gene gives you a level of barring, the second gene intensifies it. 

That is awesome!! I am so getting him a crele lady! I'm really liking my little 'mutt chickens' and am very interested in color genetics :) wanting to try a crele/ splash cross... I don't know for sure, but I am imagining that would make BEAUTIFUL chickens

That's really cool to know because my red pyles I feel like there saddles need to be a little darker red that's nice to know I can b improve that I really didn't know that so if I bred the bb red to the spangled would they all be bb red with the chance of showing the spangled trait?

I'm not sure on the genetics of spangled birds. If it's recessive, BBR x spangled would give you all "wild type" birds that carried spangled genes. Breeding 2 heterozygous birds together would give you 50% spangled, 25% "het" for spangled or "splits" ( depending on the terminology you use) and 25% wild type.

If it's co-dom you would get spangled in your first breeding, and 2 of those birds bred together would give you birds with more intense spangling.

Back
Top Bottom