Show off your Old English Game Bantams!!

Do any of you have pictures of spangled chicks?
3 of fall oegb females. The grey chick with the arrow I kept because she was so pretty and different that the rest. At this point all the roosters were loose so I don't know who the dad is...but even with being half something else she was easy to pick as a female. Hard to see in the pic but she has the true chipmunk lines of a female. I'll have to get a pic of her, she looks like an oegb but she has dark skin on the face and legs and she's black and gray. She's one of the prettiest little birds I have and she has the oegb temperament.

Sorry for the long post...but pictures tell more than I can in words...lol.

I assume the third from the left one with the dark beak turned out to be a male? I'd love to see a picture of the silvery gray female!

I was going to ask the same thing about spangled chicks. Because none of my OEGBs were that light when I got my hands on them at a few days old. Looking back, besides what might be a slightly warmer colored head and one with less eye-liner (Gumbo, I believe, same as my profile-pic), they were all pretty dark and similar.

Thanks for all the explaining here, I really appreciate the knowledge! You guys are wonderful.

Here they are coming home with my other feather-footed cuties:

vimeo_logo.png

And these are the darling lil monsters they've turned into <3

vimeo_logo.png

I don't mind at all!
love.gif
Cutie chick Pyxis!!!
love.gif

Even though I missed capturing the actual picture.
roll.png

Y'all gotta stop posting such cute/pretty bird pics. Every time I come back to this thread it's making me want to get more already!

love.gif
(Maybe hatching eggs next year if I get a nice broody girl... If I can wait that long :) )
If you have oegbs...you'll have a broody. Mine. Won't. Stop.

I bet my little SDW loner is a boy!
sad.png

This little booger is tiny, 17 grams. I've had Seramas hatch bigger!

Cutie chick!
love.gif
Hard to say...would have to see the back from above.
The brown makes me think female...but eye liner is not as prominent.
Chicks that make ya go...hmmmmm. (I couldn't resist..lol)
hide.gif

Cutie chick Pyxis!!! :love  
Even though I missed capturing the actual picture. :rolleyes:

If you have oegbs...you'll have a broody. Mine. Won't. Stop.

Cutie chick!  :love   Hard to say...would have to see the back from above.
The brown makes me think female...but eye liner is not as prominent.
Chicks that make ya go...hmmmmm. (I couldn't resist..lol) :oops:

I know, it wasn't quite fluffy when I took that pic, so maybe there is still a chance.... will examine closer after work today :p

Head shots look like a nice crisp V.

Quote: So you're saying that the Legbars will throw this exact look? Because of the time line, I know he can only be Crele/Crele or Crele/SDW with the original pair.

I had assumed because he lacks the color he would have been the one black Crele (that's what I call him for lack of a better term.) crossed with either Louise/Thelma to bring out the lack of color yet to have the strong barring. I think the black Crele is an oops who's half SDW/half Crele but he came with the group. Flash would be 1/8 SDW if this is what he is.

If it's Crele/Crele that means it's full brother/full sister... I don't cross that closely...but Flash has been the epitome of excellent health and he's an incredibly smart little fellow.

How many crosses do you get with your Legbars that are Silvers?

So you're saying that the Legbars will throw this exact look?  Because of the time line, I know he can only be Crele/Crele or Crele/SDW with the original pair. 

I had assumed because he lacks the color he would have been the one black Crele  (that's what I call him for lack of a better term.) crossed with either Louise/Thelma to bring out the lack of color yet to have the strong barring. I think the black Crele is an oops who's half SDW/half Crele but he came with the group. Flash would be 1/8 SDW if this is what he is.

If it's Crele/Crele that means it's full brother/full sister... I don't cross that closely...but Flash has been the epitome of excellent health and he's an incredibly smart little fellow.

How many crosses do you get with your Legbars that are Silvers?

They're not crosses, but pure Legbars. They're lighter but without the reds/yellows of normal Legbars. Chicks are very dark at hatching.

My Legbar crosses start as black chicks, usually. He's a barred SDW. That makes sense.

Last edited:
Quote: I really love the little oegbs. I love their eggs and my preference is the oegb eggs. Two fit so perfectly to make an egg sandwich and I get yolk coverage across the length of the bread.
droolin.gif
It works out because I sell the EE eggs...lol. My husband keeps telling me he wishes we just had the oegbs. They're his favorite. That would be wonderful...but then I'd have 500 because I'd have the room for so many more.

I think I have a cuckoo maran...lol. My SDW and Creles look similar in type. I have no idea where either originated from. I had no idea there were so many color varieties of oegb until this thread. Some of your oegb look a bit different than mine in type...but we're in different countries with different breeders and hatcheries. I found the same with our Katahdin sheep just within Canada...our type out west are different than the eastern provinces and those from the U.S. My first EE's were sexable the same way until all the weird stuff started showing up. I don't think they're supposed to be sexable so I don't know why some are.

Quote: Do you mean the silver chick with the dark arrow? That turned out to be the female I thought she would be. She came out of a tiny egg although she looks a bit bigger than the other two.

This is her. She's hard to get a pic of and she looks washed out by the light of my phone. Beside her is a either Flash's baby boy or a Crele/SDW and he shows the barring quite well. He's also a pet.
roll.png
(The red on her back is livestock paint)

Quote: Oh...lol. Sorry, I realized they were pure Legbars. I meant what percentage of Legbars turn out to be the Silvers. (not crosses, poor choice of words on my part)
hide.gif

So yours are completely void of color?

Flash has a tint of yellow on the white. But he's completely different than the half cross; both as a chick and an adult.

The half Crele/half SDW look like a Duckwing with muted bars on the dark and the white, essentially a barred Duckwing. They're black and white.

I was going to ask the same thing about spangled chicks. Because none of my OEGBs were that light when I got my hands on them at a few days old. Looking back, besides what might be a slightly warmer colored head and one with less eye-liner (Gumbo, I believe, same as my profile-pic), they were all pretty dark and similar.

Thanks for all the explaining here, I really appreciate the knowledge! You guys are wonderful.

Here they are coming home with my other feather-footed cuties:

vimeo_logo.png

And these are the darling lil monsters they've turned into <3

vimeo_logo.png
I don't have any pictures or knowledge on the spangled oegb...but I googled them. They're gorgeous!

You're chicks are SO cute. I love it when they're older at that stage where they're trying to dust bathe. OMG hilarious!!
I can't even comment on what my Crele chicks looked like when they were first hatched because I didn't get them until they were 3 weeks. Jophus added a good pic of a Crele chick a few pages back. Do they look anything like Pyxis's spangled chick?

I assume the third from the left one with the dark beak turned out to be a male? I'd love to see a picture of the silvery gray female!

I've got spangled chicks right now. This one that I posted a few paged back is spangled:

If you want more pictures I can get some.

Back
Top Bottom