show quality speckled sussex ??

Now we are ready to start fine tuning what a speckled sussex should look like to meet the SOP and be show quality.
Like other breeds with Multi color - - - a lot of decisions have to wait until AFTER the Juvie molt that occurs around 4 - 5 months old.

I have a BUNCH of chicks running around the yard now and really NEED to find out if there is any way to narrow the field. I am going cross eyed looking at all the spots!

I have been told that Really Good Speckled Sussex should not have a lot of white when young. . . . That is fine and dandy, but I don't know how much is a lot. So, I am going to post some pics of my stock. I've asked Snowbird
frow.gif
to stop by and critique them for me. .. . .
I really appreciate that he is willing to take time out to do this for me.
thumbsup.gif

Let's get this show started. . . ..

Quote:
Lisa, I see nothing that I would cull for at present. What you will find after the Juve molt that the heavy white marked chicks will have too much white as adults. What most do is show the real marked young the first year and keep the young with less color until adults for future showing.

When you start breeding your own Speckled you will need to go with averages just like on the Marans color. The amount of color works about the same as Mille d'uccles.

You have to keep a close eye on the white in wing and tail and keep it under control as it will breed into you flock and is hard to get out except for heavy culling. I assume these are all from the same place. When you do more mark if they are the same breeding.

Quote:
Oh NO !! ! ! NOT the terrible white in the wing and tail AGAIN!

These are from the same place. . . The next age group is from the same place too.

The oldest group of chicks ( 3 months old) is from a DIFFERENT breeder. I am working on uploading the pictures, but it is going to take a while. . . . If you have time, check back this evening and I will have more pics posted of the older group(s).

I have not hear a rooster crow yet - - which DELIGHTS my SOUL!

I did hear one of the 3 month old pullets talk the other day. She sounded like a duck - - so cute.

Quote:
Oh NO !! ! ! NOT the terrible white in the wing and tail AGAIN!

These are from the same place. . . The next age group is from the same place too.

The oldest group of chicks ( 3 months old) is from a DIFFERENT breeder. I am working on uploading the pictures, but it is going to take a while. . . . If you have time, check back this evening and I will have more pics posted of the older group(s).

I have not hear a rooster crow yet - - which DELIGHTS my SOUL!

I did hear one of the 3 month old pullets talk the other day. She sounded like a duck - - so cute.

Lisa, if you have a 2001 SOP go to page 252 which is the bantam section and you can see what a SS is supposed to look like at maturity. There are still Sussex being showed at some of the Ohio, Indiana shows like these.

OK Don - -- same breeder just older chicks. These are 10 weeks old

Pullet # 1
IMG_1865.jpg

We need a male so - - -
Cockerel # 1

IMG_1862.jpg

I KNOW it is looking like a thumbprint comb, but what else ??? ? ?
IMG_1863.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom