show quality speckled sussex ??

Quote:
Lisa, the last page is by far the better bred SS, lets see these after Juve molt. I believe the white on these will stay small enough. I do not believe the 1-2 pages are show type SS. I really like the coloring #3 has working.

Quote:
That makes sense . . . The first two groups were from ebay eggs and the last group is from a breeder who advertises "show quality" ss.

What makes you say they are "better" ? What are you seeing that makes you think that ? ? ?

Quote:
That makes sense . . . The first two groups were from ebay eggs and the last group is from a breeder who advertises "show quality" ss.

What makes you say they are "better" ? What are you seeing that makes you think that ? ? ?

Take a look at the Back, these feathers will have to have a black bar and a white dot. these feathers will be a dark Mahogany color. There will be no pure white wing or tail feathers. Most of the feathers will will have the white diamond at the tip.

I believe #1-#2 are hatchery quality. APA SOP also has a picture of the large SS on page #112.

Gary Overton used to show some of the best SS I ever saw.

Quote:
Back in December when I started my search, I contacted him. . . . He has no SS this year due to some predator issues.
There were 3 names that came my way and all three had issues this year or last year and were not selling SS this year.

I am still hoping to get chicks or eggs later this year from one of the men on that list. I did look at the one picture of the SS in the SOP, but one picture is just not enough for me to get the feel of what is right or wrong. . . .

With your help, I'll get there.

I am posting all this on this thread BECAUSE many have contacted me or asked "WHAT DO I LOOK FOR?" "What does a really good SS look like?"

Quote:
I see the black bar and white dot, I also see the pheasant type markings that the younger ones have. . .

Is it possible that the black bar and white dots will show up in another 3 weeks or so when they get to be the same age as the last group ? ? ?
Does the color evolve like that? ? ? Chipmunk at birth, then pheasant with white markings, and then the black barring appears as the pheasant coloring disappears ? ? ?

hey everyone, i purchased 2 show quality hens from the ohio national several years ago , then purchased a flock from a breeder going out of SS, he was from the rare breed poultry society. theres is one pic of my hen on my website if you'd like to see her go to www.bayshorekennel.com under poultry. We specialize in naked necks and wanted to make Speckled naked necks but boi not having any luck. Do raise very good mottled javas and have had success with that color crossing. Also looking for show Quality SS. Love to work with others and co breed some great birds Frank @ Bayshore

Quote:
I see the black bar and white dot, I also see the pheasant type markings that the younger ones have. . .

Is it possible that the black bar and white dots will show up in another 3 weeks or so when they get to be the same age as the last group ? ? ?
Does the color evolve like that? ? ? Chipmunk at birth, then pheasant with white markings, and then the black barring appears as the pheasant coloring disappears ? ? ?

Lisa, the first two page chicks will be over white after the molt. The third group should feather up real nice after the Juve molt. You do not want too much white in the juves as they will show more white as they age. The female in the above post is probably an older female and could be used as a breeder.

hello , live real close to luray good friend of mine is a vet there Donna Mathews, ever get back this way come bye, go to farm section on web then scroll down says poultry,waterfowl

Back
Top Bottom