show quality speckled sussex ??

Have you had a look at the standard for Sussex? Speckleds are just a colour variety.
http://www.openpoultrystandards.com/Sussex
Scroll down in the link and it has a small section on the speckled sussex.
Thank you for replying. I have six pullets that are large frame from Privett Hatchery via my local Tractor Supply. They are 10 weeks old today. I thought I would pick the best of the 6 for my son’s 4H project next year. I’m doubtful these will turn out to be much but it’s fun to learn and hopefully improved what we have to work with over time.

Well, 5 months have gone by since I started my search and today I will post some pics of the stock I found. . .

First some pictures of 1 day old speckled sussex

The two chipmunk brown ones in the back are speckled sussex

IMG_1838.jpg

Quote:
Lisa, first will say that to tell anything on the wings they will need to be opened up showing the spread wing. #3 has too much white in wing, and this could be from an older age.

The combs are good enough to not be a concern, I am critiqueing these to be breeders.
The heads are good , #3 being larger and this could be the age also.
The tails are a little high but will work with right male, should be 35*
Body type, like the type on all three females
Eyes appear to be good on my monitor
Body color is nice Mahogany on #1-#2 and #3 appears a little faded from age
Feather tip on #2-3 are very nice and the black Bar and white dot as this is what makes the color standout
#3 feather tip color is kinda light and I believe when she was a pullet she was colored very nice, but we have no way of knowing this. Check the ear lobes to see if they are red, look a little chalky.

All I can remember from the pictures.

I would use all three of these in a breeding program, with #3 being what I believe to be the best of the three for breeding.

Last edited:
Quote:
Lisa, somehow I missed these when you posted them, sorry. This second female is much better than the first but have to say you sure can tell they are hatchery Fowl. They do not have any type and are very narrow in the back. Take a look at the three female in the other post I commented about. I believe the other two female in the last post are also hatchery fowl. The male has nothing going for him at all.

Quote:
Lisa, look at the second wing spread and you will see the primary feathers are black and all should have the white tip, looks like three out of five do. Now the secondary feathers do not have enough white edging or white tip.

Quote:
Lisa, size wise the Sussex are on average about 1# heavier than the Marans. The standard for the Sussex covers all varieties, there should be no difference. Best way to start trying to increase the weight on the Sussex is use breeders that have a wide and long back and also wide chest. These are things the commercial Speckled are lacking .

Quote:
Lisa, no white in the tail feather tips, short back, it would be nice if we could see the wing spread but too late for that. Color wise not real bad but still a hatchery SS.

So, Do I want to see white in the tail feather tips on a SS rooster?

I was looking at my pullets' rears today and wondering which do I want to see in SS hens - - A " V " or an " U ". What do you thinik is better / correct form?

Lisa, the Male and female should have tail feather white tips on the feathers. For the U-V shape tail you would be able to get along with either as long as the tail feathers are open between the two rows of feathers. I think the small U looks better but that is just what I like.

Quote:
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
Oh WALT, you must explain..... Why do you say it is the worst head ? ?
I thought we were looking for a "balance" , a sturdy neck with a sturdy head......
Clearly, I don't grasp what the SS head should look like - YET -
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom