show quality speckled sussex ??

I'll join in. Am completely open to total scrutiny of our speckled sussex. Color, conformation... just give it to me straight. I'd like to know what you see that is or isn't right. Thanks!
These are one year old hens from private breeder (no longer breeding, has no more stock) that are presently laying:
62150_sussex_2_4-2011.jpg

62150_sussex_3_4-2011.jpg

I have four of these, almost identical. Four others from anothter source, and one individual we just picked up last year. She has too much white. Here she is:
62150_sussex_1_4-2011.jpg

I do like the fact that she is deep bodied, broad backed, and has a nice tail.

Looking forward to hearing opinions on the hens. Thanks!

Looking at the sample picture in the SOP for speckled sussex . . . .

It appears that the tail should be low maybe a 30 degree angle.
The hen appears to have a long back
The comb should be very short.

The hen has two clear vertical rows of speckles on the wing AND a row of speckles edging the wing.
The hen also has one clear veritical row of speckles edging the tail.
HOW IMPORTANT ARE THESE MARKINGS ? ?

There are a couple of Judges visiting - - JUDGES What are these speckles on the wing and tail worth in the show ring ? ?

Quote:
The last bird has a long back like the sop picture.

The second hen has a wing that is closest to the sop picture.
According to the picture . . .. The wing tip should be mostly brown ( no speckles), and then the two rows of speckles at the wing front.
There should be one row of speckles eding the wing.
This hen has the speckles in the right spot, they just are NOT well defined.

The first bird has the best head and neck compared to the SOP photo. The last bird's head is too small.

All three of these ladies have a tail angle too high according the SOP picture.

THIS is just my opinion. ... . I am VERY NEW to SS and WELCOME those with experience with SS ( Judges and Previous breeders) to jump in here and correct me.

Last edited:
Quote:
The last bird has a long back like the sop picture.

The second hen has a wing that is closest to the sop picture.
According to the picture . . .. The wing tip should be mostly brown ( no speckles), and then the two rows of speckles at the wing front.
There should be one row of speckles eding the wing.
This hen has the speckles in the right spot, they just are NOT well defined.

The first bird has the best head and neck compared to the SOP photo. The last bird's head is too small.

All three of these ladies have a tail angle too high according the SOP picture.

THIS are just my opinion. ... . I am VERY NEW to SS and WELCOME those with experience with SS ( Judges and Previous breeders) to jump in here and correct me.

Lisa, gonna be out for a while and if no one gives a good critique will jump in when I get back. All three have something that can be worked with. Later.

Hey Lisa, can I jump in here with a few photos of my SS girls plus one of my roo's? I need to take some better pictures of them anyways.

Quote:
BRING THEM ON - - - The more pics we get posted and critequed the more we will know EXACTLY what we should be breeding toward.

I've got the SOP in hand, but to me a PICTURE with criteque is worth way over 10,000 words !

Quote:
Lisa, first will say that to tell anything on the wings they will need to be opened up showing the spread wing. #3 has too much white in wing, and this could be from an older age.

The combs are good enough to not be a concern, I am critiqueing these to be breeders.
The heads are good , #3 being larger and this could be the age also.
The tails are a little high but will work with right male, should be 35*
Body type, like the type on all three females
Eyes appear to be good on my monitor
Body color is nice Mahogany on #1-#2 and #3 appears a little faded from age
Feather tip on #2-3 are very nice and the black Bar and white dot as this is what makes the color standout
#3 feather tip color is kinda light and I believe when she was a pullet she was colored very nice, but we have no way of knowing this. Check the ear lobes to see if they are red, look a little chalky.

All I can remember from the pictures.

I would use all three of these in a breeding program, with #3 being what I believe to be the best of the three for breeding.

Last edited:
Thanks Buns for posting the pictures. . ..

I learned two things from Don's critique. .. .

1.) I got a good feel for what shade of Mahongany I should be looking for
2.) That I need to include a wing spread photo in future postings

Nice Job Don and Buns
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom