show quality speckled sussex ??

Pics
Quote:
Hi Math Ace,
A solid white feather is not a DQ per the 2010 S.O.P.
Quote:
I like the distance between the legs on this guy.

Punky, Would you be willing to give me a point of reference saying the White wing or tail feather is not a DQ. If the breed standard does not say a white feather is acceptable , it reverts back to the interpretation section and cuttings for defects. A white wing or tail feather on the SS is a DQ, since the breed standard does say it is acceptable.

Hey Don,
Am I reading the text in bold correctly? I could not find where it says a white feather on a Speckled Sussex is a DQ. I might have missed it. Now, I was just trying to answer her question. I'm not saying that it should be kept - just that its not a DQ from what I can find, again I may be wrong.

I will try to critique the pullet. Lisa, it is easier to critique the bird when in my own hands, only so much can be done from a picture. I also agree with on, you need to weigh them.
As you noted, she has alot of white in her. But, color is easier to fix than size & type. It is said that the female sates size and type and the male sets the color, because the male has two color genes, the female has one. So mate her to a nicely colored male.
The beak looks thin, there by possibly a thin skull also. Tail should be tipped in white. Shanks & thighs look thin also, but then she is a young bird. Not on my regular laptop at the moment so I can't see the pictures too well (the color is dark on thsi computer), but the legs look yellow, can't really tell.

Will try to get on my laptop later,
Mitch

Mitch, We had run into this same question on white in wing and tail on the Marans thread and ask the standards committee for an answer, The member we asked took the question to full board at Shawnee and came back and said full Committee said it would be a DQ for solid whitefeather if not acceptable in the breed standard.

Steve, I believe the white feather should be culled but I myself wait on the Juve molt, after that they should not be used for breeders.

Just a comment to clear this up a little. I am talking about either a solid white wing or tail feather is a DQ under APA SOP rules. I am in almost total agreement with STEVE except for the severity of the White feather.

Quote:
If the breed standard does not say a white feather is acceptable , it reverts back to the interpretation section and cuttings for defects. A white wing or tail feather on the SS is a DQ, since the breed standard does say it is acceptable.

There is another pullet waiting for a critique so how about jumping into the thread and say how to go forward with this female. Don

I think at this point, I may need to invite a couple of judges to come over and give us their take on this issue.
We all agree that the White, all white, wing feather does not belong after the Juvie molt....

Punky and Steve seem to see it as a Fault.
If I am understanding Don correctly, he sees it as a Disqualifier.

I'll see if we can not get a couple of judges to see how they would interpret it in the show ring. . .

ALSO, the pics I post I do invite ALL to give their critique on.

I learned so much on the marans thread by reading others critiques, but I learned even more when I started posting my own critiques.
Sometimes I was totally off on vocabulary or concept. It was all good because the more experienced breeders would come in and GENTLY correct my errors.
I never professed to being an expert and everyone knew I was just learning right along with the others.

I invite anyone who is willing to EXPOSE themselves to critique my birds. This is a forum that I want everyone to feel comfortable to make mistakes.
We can learn through our mistakes and others' mistakes. If posting makes you uncomfotable, then by all means. . .. continue to LURK.
Just give us a "shout out" every once in a while so that we know there is life out there
big_smile.png
If there is something you want clarification on BUT don't feel comfortable posting - ---PM someone who is posting.
They can post your question for you.

NOW, I am off to find a couple of judges to give us their take on the the solid white wing feather - - FAULT or DQ ?

caf.gif

I wrote to Jeff Halbach, APA and ABA judge and ABA President. The following is his response on the white feather issue. This and his name are used with his permission.

A solid white feather is a defect 2 pts.
I could find very little in the APA Standard although the ABA Standard says 3 or more solid white feathers is a DQ
jeff

He also stated that he has seen very few good large SS

Hope this helps,
Jim​

All that are interested. Just looked in Bantam Standard and under speckled it states: DQ, Solid white feathers showing in any section of the plumage. This is on page #247 under Speckled.

edited to say, Since this thread is going to be used as a educational tool for the Speckled Sussex I believe it is right to make sure everything stated is correct according the APA-ABA Standards. Anyone see anything that is not correct either contact Lisa or make a posting. This is a very nice thread to work with , but will be moving on shortly.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think it is pretty hard to argue with what is written in black and white in the standard....
I would not think Bantam versus Large fowl should make any difference on this....

I have found the standard a hard book to read because things are spread out all over. It is easy to get LOST while trying to find a piece of information....
Thank you again Don for not only finding the information BUT also listing where we can find it ourselves.

Quote:
I hope this means you are ready to move on to my last pullet. . . .

Pullet # 4 - -

Love the size of the chest on this girl at 17 weeks. I do think her head is little small for the width of her neck....

IMG_2111.jpg

I know she is showing a lot of white.... perhaps a really dark roo would help offset the next generation.... BUT I think the chest is showing a lot of potential.
Don, am I wrong on this ? ? ? ?

IMG_2107.jpg

Here is the wing spread

IMG_2108.jpg

This is the one I like the best out of the first 4. I like her because of her size and solid build.
Am I way off base on this ?

Quote:
I hope this means you are ready to move on to my last pullet. . . .

Pullet # 4 - -

Love the size of the chest on this girl at 17 weeks. I do think her head is little small for the width of her neck....

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/cliff1801/speckled sussex/ss - 4 months old/IMG_2111.jpg

I know she is showing a lot of white.... perhaps a really dark roo would help offset the next generation.... BUT I think the chest is showing a lot of potential.
Don, am I wrong on this ? ? ? ?

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/cliff1801/speckled sussex/ss - 4 months old/IMG_2107.jpg

Here is the wing spread

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/cliff1801/speckled sussex/ss - 4 months old/IMG_2108.jpg

This is the one I like the best out of the first 4. I like her because of her size and solid build.
Am I way off base on this ?

Hi Lisa, With the color going on with this pullet she would be great to breed to a male with less color. Notice she still has the oblong black spangles going on and I am not familiar with this. I believe since this is Hatchery Quality they may just have some Welsummer or Buttercup mixed in from past years. I believe these better pullets are just too young to deduct for color at present and will try and find out where the stray color is coming from if possible. I believe you know my theory about brother-sister matings. I might do the inbreeding one time and never again. I am strictly into line breeding, if done right and you start off right you could breed forever without new blood if you keep good records and mark and band all fowl.

Back
Top Bottom