Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

Pics
I don't have single combs pop up but I am having trouble with small points on the top of the combs. I am using only the offspring with the best combs. If possible I would not use a single combed bird for breeding. If you have to use a single combed hen, I would get the best silkie roo you can with a perfect comb and try to breed it out.

Quote:
She is gorgeous! I would try getting a REALLY nice white roo. If you need one I think Bren had one on bidbird.com not sure if he is still there though....

yuckyuck.gif
I would do the same thing! I LOVE the roos and am always looking for an excuse to get "just ONE more"!

i know. last year my mom gave me 3 chickens, dh said what are you going to do with chickens? i said eat the eggs or them, what does it hurt having 3 chicken? we built a cage around a dog house and i got chicken fever. my 3 chickens turned into about 30. they now moved from a dog house to a house trailor/barn. his favorite saying is darn chickens as he shakes his head and walks away laughing.

I'm stumped as to what's going on with 2 of my SG hens
idunno.gif
....hope you guys can help me out here.

They're both 9 months old & have been laying daily for about 2 months now. Every single egg they've laid is not fertile. At first, I thought well, young pullets. Then I thought maybe the roo, so I swapped out roos...still nothing. And yes, both of these roos have fertile eggs with the other hens. Everything's the same with these 2 as with the others, diet etc.

I refuse to eat the SG eggs as I need to hatch every one..ya know how that is
roll.png
but so disappointing to always have to pitch a dozen of their eggs at first candle...they're always clear. I have a super hatch rate with everyone else. Any ideas???

I have been having fertility problems here too. Not with the lav sg pen but with the rest. I don't know if it is the cold, or the roos in the other pens not wanting to do thier job with the weather? They have lights on them and large windows in the coop so light is not an issue.

One time last year I had a batch of eggs from my lav sg pen candle clear which shocked me as I usually have 100 hatch rates on them. I went out and trimmed up every ones bumms and the next batch was back to 100%.

That is my plan this weekend, to trim everyones bums up so the job at hand will be easier. My BBS, some lavs, and my porcelains are all mixed in the big coop until spring when I can move them to their individual pens but I want to make sure that when I am able to they are all fertile!

Back
Top Bottom