Showgirl thread- for posting pictures and discussing breed!

What is the difference between a "bow tie" SG and a regular SG? This is the first rooster I have and I'm pairing him with my regular Silkie ladies

There's just two types, the one with a bowtie like your boy and the ones with a smooth neck. They are both regular. Then they can also have a muff on their chin or not. Just depends on what look you like for your showgirls. As a fun fact, the featherless necked ones are called strippers.

Thank you for clearing that up
1f60a.png
So if he is bred to my regular Silkie hens the chances of regular silkies to showgirls is 50/50? He's my only showgirl rooster right now
2764.png
He's a sweet lil guy. I'm not sure if he's even mating with the girls yet but I put a white hen and a partridge hen in with him to see what happens
1f495.png

Thank you for clearing that up
1f60a.png
So if he is bred to my regular Silkie hens the chances of regular silkies to showgirls is 50/50? He's my only showgirl rooster right now
2764.png
He's a sweet lil guy. I'm not sure if he's even mating with the girls yet but I put a white hen and a partridge hen in with him to see what happens
1f495.png

I think the chances of getting silkies will be a little higher. Since the rooster has a gene for naked neck and one for silkie and your hens have two for silkie. (That's a simplified explaination). So I would expect 3 out of 4 will be silkies. But I could be wrong. I bred a showgirl roo to a silkie and a showgirl hen. I got about a 50/50 mix but I couldn't tell you whose eggs were whose.

Thank you!!!
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
Love the chart I'm very visual! I am actually glad that the probability of getting silkies is a little higher than SG because while I think they are adorable, not everyone does, and I love hatching and seeing what breeds to what etc. so I sell some because my husband would have a fit if I tried to keep them all! I have an itty bitty chick SG also! I'm hoping for a hen since I have the male in the cute red guy, I could mate "her" to my black or white roo. I guess in six months or so I will know for sure!

Thank you!!!
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
Love the chart I'm very visual! I am actually glad that the probability of getting silkies is a little higher than SG because while I think they are adorable, not everyone does, and I love hatching and seeing what breeds to what etc. so I sell some because my husband would have a fit if I tried to keep them all! I have an itty bitty chick SG also! I'm hoping for a hen since I have the male in the cute red guy, I could mate "her" to my black or white roo. I guess in six months or so I will know for sure!

I thought showgirls were the ugliest thing ever when I first got them. I got them on a whim with some silkies I was getting. They grew on me and now I think they are beautiful. My 9 year old though hates them. He pretty much boos whenever a showgirl hatches. Lol.

This baby I hatched, but I'm not sure what she is?

I know she's a showgirl, she has regular feathers but not curled.

So would she be a Sizzle Showgirl smooth?

What happens if crossed with a regular Silkie?

This baby I hatched, but I'm not sure what she is? I know she's a showgirl, she has regular feathers but not curled. So would she be a Sizzle Showgirl smooth? What happens if crossed with a regular Silkie?
[ Wouldn't it just be a showgirl that's showing more turken traits? Did you cross it with a frizzle chicken? I think they only count as frizzle (or sizzle in the case of silkies) if it actually has curly feathers. You'd probably get a more traditional looking showgirl if you crossed it with a silkie, with lots of fluffy feathers. And probably some straight silkies too.

Back
Top Bottom