Shrink Wrapped

I think it may be my eyes more than your pics...lol.

Here's a pic of what I consider a shrink wrap chick.
This chick died, probably a few days before hatching. It has well formed features and is normal in appearance.
The chick has liquid around it that's not absorbed, and that's why the membrane looks clear and not white.

I consider this a normal zip on a chick. The membrane is whitish, but not shrunk tight against the chick.
Is this what your egg looked like before you wet the membrane?

I should add that this chick hatched normally by itself. I was just looking at it...lol. (And well, taking pics of the zip I guess.)

Last edited:
Yes, the inner membrane is around the chicks' bodies. I'm trying to upload a photo but my phone is being a pain. So I'll do it from the computer soon as it gets to my email. It looks like most of the veins have shrunk down on the second chick.

Sorry about your chickies.
hugs.gif

Bad enough to have them die...but then have to take pics of them. It sucks.

The chick looks a bit gooey. Was it? If it was, that's not a great sign.
hmm.png

The holes that you have in your eggs are decent sized holes.
If they can't don't make it out of the egg, it's possible that they're weak chicks and succumbing.

I've only had one hatch where I had the gooey chicks.
Everything died. I believe the hatch got too hot at one point. I also wonder if my humidity was off because I hadn't calibrated my hygrometer yet.
The shrink chick I posted was from that hatch.

That chick is alive still. There was no more blood, so I peeled back the membrane and it popped out some. It's resting for now, so I haven't been able to see how it's belly button looks. It's butt end is still in the shell. The other one still has some blood in it's veins, so I'm leaving it be. And no, they aren't goey. I put vaseline on them because that's all I had, so they look that way. Just feels a bit moist.

I'm so dang tired. The other chick just hatched itself, but appears to be mute. The first chick is showing signs of wry neck. I'm going to give her vitamins and hope for the best.

Here they are, flopping around like dummies. I know they might not make it, but since they've made it this far I've named them. The yellow one is Cassandra (moisturize!) and the black one is Nick Andros because he's mute. He opens his little mouth but no sound comes out. I have a class this morning and then I'm going to pick up some vitamins. I'm probably going to give it to both of them, although Nick appears ok. I'm going to get some iodine for their navels, unless anyone tells me not to. They are fluffing up and Cassandra is peeping vigorously.

Ok, Vaseline. Got it.
Nice that the chick popped out on it's own.
yesss.gif

I'd watch the navel on the one until it's closed. I had one where the navel herniated afterwards.
Very easy fix though.

That's too bad they (and you) are having such a go of it.
Vitamins are an excellent idea.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom