Sick Peacock, please help!

PrettyboyGeorge

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2016
Hello All,

I'm new to the forum but have been following many trends for assistance in my problem. I had a Peacock which we call Pretty boy George fly up on my property 6 years ago. I fed him and built a cage and perches around my property. He has never had a female hen while with me. Never wormed him or given any medications, as I let him roam free except at night I lock him up in his cage for safety. All has been good up to now.
I started noticing weakness, holding wings down, acting sleepy all the time and a bit off balance around 7/5/16 and started gaining information at that time through many online forums. I started him first on a wormer/ Safeguard for three days, using a paste, about a thumb nails worth, as I was told from the Southern states feed store clerk to do. Seemed to help for about two days then he went down showing weakness again, so I went to my vet and got some Sulfamethoxazole-TMP Susp (Bactrim) to see if that would work. Gave that to him for 10 days once a day at 6milliliters by mouth once a day. Didn't see any improvement! So, I went back to my vet and got some Metronidazole 250mg/ one tablet twice a day. I also starting syringe feeding a bit as well. To be exact only 1/2 once last night, then this morning 33ml of combination of Kale, blueberries, can cat food. He is to weak to run to far from me, but tries. He is a bit more attentive this morning but picking his food but not actually eating.
What am I doing wrong or how quick should I see some results from this medicine?
I think he has Blackhead due to his poop is bright yellow with a hint of white paste around the sides.
I totally cleaned his pen and also noticed lice or mites on him, so I powdered him with a pesticide. (see less today)
He is standing in his water that I have for him to cool off in, due to it's 96 degrees here in Delaware this week. Bad time for my bird to be ill. Any advice would be helpful. Or, just some insight if I'm doing things correct as I have read many pages of different approaches.
I feel horrible as I love him dearly and should had educated myself better prior to this situation. He is the only peacock I've ever had and the only one on my property.
Please help!

Welcome to BYC! Call your vet and ask for injectable Baytril, also ask if they will teach you how to give subcutaneous fluids. Are you still giving the metronidazole?

-Kathy

Yes, he started the Metronidazole 250MG twice a day, yesterday. So, three doses thus far.
I wormed him twice already with SafeGuard paste and antibiotic for 10 days once a day. NOT sure the vet told me correct amount of antibiotic to give due to he is not a Avian vet and was going off information I gave him.
Totally cleaned his cage, with new bedding. Clean his water like 5 x per day for freshness, and giving electrolytes in the water every other day.
I don't know if I am giving the medicine enough time to work. How quickly should I see results.
I don't know how old Prettyboy is due to he came to me 6 years ago as a stray.

Yes, he started the Metronidazole 250MG twice a day, yesterday. So, three doses thus far.
I wormed him twice already with SafeGuard paste and antibiotic for 10 days once a day. NOT sure the vet told me correct amount of antibiotic to give due to he is not a Avian vet and was going off information I gave him.
Totally cleaned his cage, with new bedding. Clean his water like 5 x per day for freshness, and giving electrolytes in the water every other day.
I don't know if I am giving the medicine enough time to work. How quickly should I see results.
I don't know how old Prettyboy is due to he came to me 6 years ago as a stray.
How much does he weigh? If he has blackhead, he probably also has E. coli. The metronidazole will treat the blackhead, but not the E.coli. The sulfa drug your vet gave will treat some strains of E/coli, but not all. IMO, would be best to add Baytil, Cipro, or another fluoroquinolone antibiotic.

Regarding the Safeguard paste... this amount you gave him, place the same amount in a syringe and let us know how much it is. To treat capillary worms he would need 0.23 ml (paste or liquid) per pound for 5 consecutive days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If he's not drinking, he needs fluids, and a combo subcutaneously (under skin) and oral via a tube would be ideal.

-Kathy

Last edited:
On the question of "How much Safeguard given" I was giving through Syringe of .07ml approximately.
He is drinking water and electrolytes often and also when I give him medicine, I give him a small amount approximate 6 to 9ml of water or electrolytes.
He is pecking at food but not eating much, so I fixed him a mixture of blueberry's, kale and can cat food in my juicer and fed him some, but not a whole lot. Approx. 33ml.

Prettyboy weighs approximately 6 to 8 pounds now. He has lost a lot of weight as he was a heavy bird months ago and thriving. He has no other birds around him.

Prettyboy weighs approximately 6 to 8 pounds now. He has lost a lot of weight as he was a heavy bird months ago and thriving. He has no other birds around him.
Worming with Safeguard liquid *or* paste:

Six pounds should get ~1.4 ml
Seven pounds should get ~1.6 ml
Eight pounds should get ~1.8 ml

One day will treat cecal worms and large roundworms, but 5 days is needed to treat capillary worms.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom