Sick Peacock, please help!

yes it does and thank you, as I have never been in this situation and all is new and scary as I want to get him well soon.

I am in just tears over this and feel horrible! E.coli, if I go to my vet tomorrow, do you feel I have a chance? And how and why do they get that, I have never heard of it.
He has been ill for several weeks now. Loosing weight by the day. Trying to eat but not successful, except for small bits. He is a bit wobbly on his feet today.
When I first noticed him it was due to him holding his wings down a lot but its been so hot here I just figured it was because he was overheated as he always does. But then I noticed he had a problem perching which was two weeks ago and then I started working on things to get him better.

Kathy I seen this post on another Thread. My question is can you give all these medications at the same time?
You said possible E.coli as well. Since I do have a antibiotic called Sulfamethoxazole-TMP SUSP should I be using this along side of the Metronidazole I am giving him now? I was doing one at a time due to overdose.
I know you said he looked very sick and he is, but do I even have a chance with your opinion and should I be careful with dosing to much medication at one time.
Would the below apply to my issue as well?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm going crazy with this. He is so very important and I don't want to loose him.

Thank you, Wendy

0.6m (60mg)l Baytril (100mg/ml) by injection once a day
100 mg metronidazole orally twice a day for no less than 5 days
1.5 ml Safeguard orally once a day for 5 days
0.7 ml Corid orally once a day for 5 days

60-120ml of fluids via the tube several times a day. Once hydrated I will tube Kaytee.

-Kathy

You should be concerned now, because if he has a secondary E.coli infection he's not going to live without something that treats E.coli. Had you caught it earlier, I think maybe you could have treated with just metronidazole, but IMO, he's very close to the point of no return.

-Kathy

My vet prescribed Sulfamethoxazole-TMP SUSP at 8 milliliters by mouth twice a day for 10 days - He is not a avian vet but went off information I gave him off the web. My question is that the right dose and if not what is. Also, does that work against E.coli? Can I give him this medicine with the Metronidazole as well?

Seeing that your boys poo is bright yellow it is a pretty sure sign that he has blackhead. I would follow the prescription you reposted in post #23 perhaps without the corid. Your vet should be able to do a fecal float exam to determine what worms, cocci, or blackhead protozoa are present. It is the same exam as they do on dogs and cats looking for worm eggs and is normally low cost, around $15 to $20. Call and find out first and then take a fresh poo sample in a baggie, they will need about one to two ml.

Seeing that your boys poo is bright yellow it is a pretty sure sign that he has blackhead. I would follow the prescription you reposted in post #23 perhaps without the corid. Your vet should be able to do a fecal float exam to determine what worms, cocci, or blackhead protozoa are present. It is the same exam as they do on dogs and cats looking for worm eggs and is normally low cost, around $15 to $20. Call and find out first and then take a fresh poo sample in a baggie, they will need about one to two ml.

My plan is to take some poop to the vet tomorrow, which I should had done yesterday when I asked for the Metronidazole he started yesterday morning.
Kathy provided the prescription above in post #23, which I really appreciated, and I have all of it as I've collected within the last few weeks due to information I have been reading.
I have been treating him but with Safe Guard first, then Methoxazole but not allot as I felt my vet over prescribed due to not being an Avian Vet. (he said 8millilitters twice daily) electrolyte water and then lastly Metronidazole.
My concern is giving all at one time. I guess I can?

Also if your vet is like mine, they may sell you Baytril in a syringe(s).

My vet knows me well, due to my many babies, so I would have no problem getting what I need.

Do you know if Baytril is the Sulfamethoxazole? I asked for Baytril and the Sulfa is what his girls gave me. They said the same.

Note that I had negative fecals on two that had blackhead confirmed by necropsy, so blackhead cannot be ruled out by having a negative fecal.

The amounts in post #23 were based on a pea weighing 3kg (6.6 pounds). All meds were given, and the hen recovered.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846873/please-help-with-sick-peacock/530#post_16437415
I thought I should share that I saw one looking a little off a few days ago and last night I decided to bring her in. Her poop looks very much like the poop pictures I posted, so I suspect it's blackhead and E.coli, though I guess it could be something else. Doesn't matter though, treatment will be the same.

2.5 year old 3 kg hen

0.6m (60mg)l Baytril (100mg/ml) by injection once a day
100 mg metronidazole orally twice a day for no less than 5 days
1.5 ml Safeguard orally once a day for 5 days
0.7 ml Corid orally once a day for 5 days

60-120ml of fluids via the tube several times a day. Once hydrated I will tube Kaytee.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom