Sick Peahen

dianaeliz

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2023
I have a sick peahen who won’t eat. I’ve dewormer her and started antibiotic yesterday. Can anyone assist?

I’m feeding her parrot food with a syringe so she won’t die on me. I don’t know if this is a respiratory infection or worms.

image.jpg

Sorry your peahen is sick. Gapeworms are rare, so it probably is a respiratory infection.

Is a vet an option?
What antibiotic are you giving her?
I called today and still haven’t heard back. I’m giving her Tylan 50 1ml 3 times a day I just started yesterday night.

Tagging onto this post because I’m at a loss. Peahen stopped eating vet put her on antibiotics and anti inflammatory. He saw no signs of issues other than off poop though fecal sample showed no parasites. We have her segregated and giving her syringe water because we can’t tell if she’s drinking. She’s not eating at all. Is there a way to “force feed” them.

Also, all of our other hens (chickens) are acting totally fine

Attachments

• 386B1B36-5A09-4F8F-B713-A62BF1E66555.jpeg
    386B1B36-5A09-4F8F-B713-A62BF1E66555.jpeg
    985 KB · Views: 3
She’s not eating at all. Is there a way to “force feed” them.
You can crop feed with a tube directly into her crop.
Here is a very detailed thread about it. I think the amounts given in the first post are too much. Make sure to read down through the first few replies because there's some good information in there from @casportpony regarding the correct amounts etc. I bookmarked that years ago and have found it very useful.

It may seem scary at first but crop feeding is the safest way to get food and fluids into her and it's actually not that difficult after you do it the first time. You can add her medication into it as well.

Back
Top Bottom