Sick pullet?

That is a genius way to divide up the medicine. I will make a couple up now for tomorrow. She weighs about 2.5 lbs. 2.5 * 57 = 142. 2 pills = 500 mg; 500 mg / 3 =167ish. That should be okay to give.

Thanks for that. We tried very hard to give the dosage in a syringe. The one that was big enough to suck up the powder was way to big to put down past her tongue into the crop. That will help a bunch!

What do you think the brownish red stuff is in her poop picture from earlier. I would have thought it was blood, but since the fecal float showed no parasites of any kind I am thinking probably not blood. Normal cecal poop or intestinal lining perhaps?

I am thinking that I should probably stop the corid dosage - direct and waterers. The vet said it would not hurt her, but he see no need to continue. Would that be your advice too?

Thanks for, once again, sharing your knowledge and experience. I hope to one day be of service to others as you have so kindly been to me. ♥️
Yes, that 167ish should work fine.
Oh, that powder doesn't mix well with water at all, you'll find the coconut oil much easier.

The brownish poop looks like cecal to me too.

I'd follow the Vet's direction. The Corid won't hurt, but if there's no need, then I'd stop it, see how she does.

I sure hope she pulls through this.

Yes, that 167ish should work fine.
Oh, that powder doesn't mix well with water at all, you'll find the coconut oil much easier.

The brownish poop looks like cecal to me too.

I'd follow the Vet's direction. The Corid won't hurt, but if there's no need, then I'd stop it, see how she does.

I sure hope she pulls through this.
Thank you. Me too.

Coconut oil mix worked great. Did 1/2 tablespoon with 3 250 mg capsule. Making each section 150mg.

She ate one section freely this morning.

Ate some food this morning. She is tasting everything, but still eating very little. Hubby caught 2 grasshoppers this morning which she devoured. Scratching at her crumble in her cage.

Poop still yellow and watery.

Hoping amoxicillin works for her.

She is perky this morning which is better than the last couple of days.

I was hoping to put her back out with the flock this morning, but want to continue to monitor her poop so she is still in cage.

This morning's poop

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_122624199.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230907_122624199.MP.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 4
Just found this in my girls cage. I never thought I would be so excited over chicken poop. Two sides of the same poop. If this continues, I will put her back in the coop tonight after everyone goes to roost. New bedding was put in cage while she was out this morning, so I know this one occurred after the wet one this morning.

Still a little yellow in the urates, but it is solid. :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_144932768.jpg
    PXL_20230907_144932768.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230907_144948335.jpg
    PXL_20230907_144948335.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 3
We have reverted to watery poo. Not as yellow, but more clear liquid. Wondering if she just felt like drinking a whole lot of water. She hadn't been drinking much, but I think she is feeling better and maybe she finally started drinking water...?

She wants to be out and exploring our house, which I take as a good sign. We let her out to spread her wings/walk for a bit, but put her back when we are ready to which she give a sounding growl.

Her wattles and comb are of good color, so hoping that, too, is a good sign.

Attachments

• PXL_20230907_193747146.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193747146.MP.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230907_193617267.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193617267.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230907_193324403.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193324403.jpg
    478.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230907_193936573.jpg
    PXL_20230907_193936573.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 3
Girl are really good tonight. She ate a out 1/8 cup chicken, 4 blueberries, bits of her crumble and a few BSFast poop was still really watery. The slimy yellow is gone, but the urates still have a yellow tinge.

Thanks @Wyorp Rock - the amoxicillin/coconut oil "pills" work great!

We have reverted to watery poo. Not as yellow, but more clear liquid. Wondering if she just felt like drinking a whole lot of water. She hadn't been drinking much, but I think she is feeling better and maybe she finally started drinking water...?

She wants to be out and exploring our house, which I take as a good sign. We let her out to spread her wings/walk for a bit, but put her back when we are ready to which she give a sounding growl.

Her wattles and comb are of good color, so hoping that, too, is a good sign.
Hopefully the poop will be better with the antibiotics.

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Hopefully the poop will be better with the antibiotics.

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Her crop is empty in the morning. Tomorrow will be a real test b/c tonight was the first night that she really ate a "full" dinner - it is the most we have seen her eat since she has been sick. I need to go move her water out so she doesn't drink any before I have a chance to check it in the morning.

I find it weird that she would have solid poops and then watery poops the next time. It is almost like she is on the mend, but then isn't.

She is only toying with her crumble at the moment. She eats a couple of bites and then wants something else.

Tonight for dinner she had

4 chopped up blueberries
@ 1/8 cup of chicken
@ 6 BFL
A bite or two of her wet crumble (not interested in her dry crumble, except to dump it all over her cage).

Then she was done.

I feel she is getting too much protein. Tomorrow I think I will make her some lentils.

When she was out of her cage, she had a brown, but liquid-y poop with a little bit of urates in it. Picture on hubby's phone so I don't have access to it right now.

I want to put her back out with her flock mates, but I also want to make sure her poop is back to normal, not only so I can make sure she is getting better, but also to keep any bad bacteria away from others. I don't know if I should do that, but I also don't want to have to reintegrate her b/c she has been gone so long. The littles are already vying for their place in the hierarchy so I don't want her to be too far removed from that process. I will, of course, do what is right for her.

She gets pretty vocal when she has to be in the bedroom by herself. She is a pretty neat little girl. I hope she returns to good health.

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom