Silkie Hatch-A-Long 2015

So sorry to hear that! I only had 1/14 that were fertile from my silkie eggs that I set. At least I ended up with one sweet little healthy silkie chick though! "She" is one month old now. I hope your 3 all hatch into perfect little chicks!

Here's a recent photo of mine
smile.png

Cute baby! I was hoping to get several chicks this time : ( I have been wanting a little Silkie flock so I will have to get some more eggs! I will be surprised if the breeder doesn't offer me more. 13 clears seems excessive!

I am seriously bummed... of my 16 eggs, only 3 are developing!   I can hardly believe it.  The rest all look clear, not even any quitters.  That is a pretty terrible fertility rate.

That's crazy! Where did you get the eggs from? Local? I would send you some silkie eggs but mine aren't old enough! Next year, though! What day are the 3 on?

That's crazy! Where did you get the eggs from? Local? I would send you some silkie eggs but mine aren't old enough! Next year, though! What day are the 3 on?

Yup, they are local.. quite a drive though! They are on day 6 so I don't think any are going to surprise me... I keep turning them though. I guess I'm still in denial.

Yup, they are local.. quite a drive though!   They are on day 6 so I don't think any are going to surprise me... I keep turning them though.  I guess I'm still in denial.

Lol! Yeah, you can tell by day 6. If your going to pick up more, I would bring all the clears back to show the breeder. I hope all 3 hatch!! One of my fears with incubating, is getting a lone chick! I was just thinking if you got more, would you have to wait until this hatch is over, or do you have another incubator, or would you stagger??

Woke up this morning to find a fully hatched chick
1f423.png
. It looks quite fluffed up already, I've got a few other eggs with external pips and some with nothing. Seems a shame to leave it in there but that's what I should do right?.

Woke up this morning to find a fully hatched chick
1f423.png
. It looks quite fluffed up already, I've got a few other eggs with external pips and some with nothing. Seems a shame to leave it in there but that's what I should do right?.

You don't have to leave it in there. If I have external pips and one hatched, I do leave it in there. I wait till there are no more external pips and take them out. It seems to keep the hatch progressing, as the hatched one encourages the pipped ones to come out. I never leave a chick longer then 24 hours, though. You have to do what you're comfortable doing.

Back
Top Bottom