Silkie / Japanese Bantam Crosses

Long story, I put a add on craigslist to sell peafowl eggs. This awesome lady - Deb contacted me, we talked and we decided to trade a couple of the peafowl eggs for these chicks. She got the eggs from a friend of hers... so not really sure exactly where they came from, just that she hatched them. They're in excellent health, very happy she traded them :)

anyone else got picts of chicks/grown chickens??? I'll update as they grow.

You will probably be able to tell when they are older
:)

This is my silkie x jap bantam and I got her from a breeder and she was a mistake the two breeds got in the same cage some how and this bird and her partner were living in the house for some time till I could pick them up so they are of course very friendly and always want to be in the house lol :jumpy

You have beautiful peafowl. My neighbours don't like noise but I have always wanted a female peacock. Do they make much noise? Or is it just the males that make noise would they make a lot of noise If I only had one

Thanks :) in my limited experience, the male makes more noise. he calls first then the girls call back. not sure the girls would call at all without him. and they never made any noise till breeding season and its mostly in the morning - EARLY, like 5:30am, as soon as the sun starts to rise.

I don't know how much room you have but just a fyi, if you free range peafowl have a much bigger circle than chicken. we tried free ranging and they got in one neighbors barn and anothers garage. we have 10 acres, neighbors are at least 500' away. we ended up having to build a 16'X16' run for them. I hate containing them, but we had to.

Your chickens are so cute!! Shes very beautiful. I heard bantams are smaller than other chickens, is that true? she doesn't look very much smaller than ours. we have (mostly) rhode island reds.

Thanks you and thanks for the info on peafowl. I would love one but I don't have the room for them. Bantams are very tiney but have a big attitude. I love them. They are about the same size as your chicks. Do you think your silkies are bantams? :)

yup, half show lady silkie and half some kind of bantam. I'm hoping they take the silkie size, we have lots of hawks and I don't want them being taken by one. can't wait to see what they look like when they're grown up :) Hope they're as pretty as yours :)

Thank you, I'm sure they will be more like silkies any way because they have more attributes of a silkie. It's really bugging me on what they are crossed with :) if you end up loving silkies there is a lady that lives near me and she has show quality silkies and I think she ships too if you are interested.
I got these from her.......

They're cute!!! and i'll keep her in mind. I think we may have enough now tho, 6 to begin with, these 5 new ones and 10 growing strong in the incubator. that's a lot of chickens for us :)

Back
Top Bottom