silkie sexing

Just for fun, here's one of my chicks. I usually don't bother because Silkies are just so darn tricky, but y'all can have a crack at it! Hatch date was January 1st. I have my suspicions and I'm interested in seeing what everyone here thinks :D (PS- I'm hoping its a BOY, so it'll probably end up being a GIRL!)
Looking like a pullet to me some close up pics of its comb and side shots. Not seeing any streamers and the crest looks nice round and even. The tail also seems to be carried low.

Just for fun! Here is my precious little partridge silkie. My first silkie ever! I have no idea how to sex silkies, so I am trying to learn as much as I can until he/she gets big enough to figure it out!! Are there any color patterns to look for as far as male/female? Fast feathering/slow feathering? Since this is the only chick I have of this breed, I really have nothing to compare to! Enjoy his/her little pics! About 1.5 weeks old.
You need to enter the cutest baby fowl contest! It's part of the Easter hatch, but anyone can enter and there are prizes. That baby is adorable :love

Looking like a pullet to me some close up pics of its comb and side shots. Not seeing any streamers and the crest looks nice round and even. The tail also seems to be carried low.

For what its worth, my roosters are very feminine. Small combs, big round crests, round basketball shaped bodies. I usually have to wait for their combs to grow or streamers to pop before I can pick them out. I'll try to get some better pics though (which is difficult because they're in the main coop now and have access to a really big run) :)

Anyone like to make a guess with this one please?

It's nearly 16 weeks old now.

Size is deceptive in the pics, still much smaller than the rest of the group. After this first 'meet n greet' session it will be joining the 'gang' full time in a couple of weeks once they have got used to the idea!

Can you get some better pictures of it's comb and wattles, please that will help but I think I'm seeing streamers. Don't give up yet though BC I have a pullet that seems to almost have streamer-like feathers too.

Anyone like to make a guess with this one please? It's nearly 16 weeks old now. Size is deceptive in the pics, still much smaller than the rest of the group. After this first 'meet n greet' session it will be joining the 'gang' full time in a couple of weeks once they have got used to the idea!
This one looks like a male to me.. I'm definitely seeing streamers on the back of the crest. I also see a larger comb and wattles. Yes Silkies can be tricky and DO change a lot while growing but this age, with those streamers, plus the larger comb is screaming cockeral . in the second picture you can really see male characters.

Thanks, we are hoping that 'Chirpy' will turn out to be a Roo and with 5 cats in the house, one with 'attitude' to boot...

Out of interest are Silkie Roo's particularly noisy of a morning?

I bought these and were told they were pullets one is 19 weeks one is 14. I hope despite my terribl hair cut to help them be able to see the chicken walk to the coop. Do these look like pullets to you?

Back
Top Bottom