Silkie thread!

Hi everyone I bought 3 silkies from a lady at my local feed store, one roo and two hens.

I am not sure of their age is there anyway to figure out the age? They are obviously fully grown but how old that is the question.

These are not show quality Silkies but you will love them anyway. I have a 4 y/o girl that hardly lays anymore except a few eggs in Spring but she is my alpha hen and keeps the flock in line and they are so much fun to watch digging around the yard. Mine are 2-lb bantams. What size are yours?

T
These are not show quality Silkies but you will love them anyway.  I have a 4 y/o girl that hardly lays anymore except a few eggs in Spring but she is my alpha hen and keeps the flock in line and they are so much fun to watch digging around the yard.  Mine are 2-lb bantams.  What size are yours?

They are the same size, I bought 3 more hens today, 1 brown 1 blue and 1 black hen and 2 show quality black chicks that comes with the black hen. I'll post pics when I get them tomorrow.

Can someone tell me what it means when a silkie is vaulted? I think it has something to do with their head, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks in advance

Can someone tell me what it means when a silkie is vaulted? I think it has something to do with their head, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks in advance
A vaulted skull is a hole or unclosed portion of bone in the top portion of the Silkie’s skull. This genetic trait was introduced into Silkies via crosses with the Crested Polish breed of chickens. The Polish were bred into Silkies to improve and create a larger crest size. Since there is an opening in the Silkie’s skull, it can allow a portion of the brain to protrude through the opening. It’s not as bad as it sounds, cause it’s covered with skin and feathers. However… it causes the chick to be quite delicate. If the Silkie chick gets pecked on the head or bumps it’s head, it can die instantly. Chicks with vaulted heads should be protected and handled as gently as possible, as they are more vulnerable. As the chick grows, this hole will usually grow shut or at least get smaller. Occasionally though it does not. Usually chicks with vaulted skills will have fuller crests when full grown!

The chick in the middle is not vaulted:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom