Silkie thread!

I'm new to Silkies. I have one rooster given to me by a friend. I have 6 coming from Ideal in few weeks. I'm very disappointed in my roo. he has very little crest. I want some with fluffy crests. Are they only in show birds? Does color play a part? Here is a pic for opinions. He has black skin, 5 toes and what looks like single comb to me

he's probably a hatchery silkie. In general, hatchery silkies have poor crests and foot feathering, and many have single combs. Silkies from breeders who breed for quality birds are usually the fluffier ones with big crests and heavily feathered feet.

I see it but he is light and has golden tan on wings .. Who knows. But his sister is black. And brother is black with silver hackles lol

I love unique color patterns!! I can't wait until I hatch a few!
love.gif

Me too. I have
1 blue hen
1 splash hen w/ lavender tent.
1 splash too. Brown silver hackle and black tail feathers.
1 partridge splash looking chick
2 white chicks and 1 red partridge who I have to rehome

They are 3 weeks old as of 4-2-14. They are SO fuzzy now!

A few of them will stand their ground when I slowly reach and hold my hand out. Sorta like tuff guys
yippiechickie.gif

The one that I know for sure does this will also peck at me. Can you tell the sex by their tails? This one ("Blue") its tail is like up & down and the others is flat and wider.
hu.gif

"Blue" "Popcorn"

"Silver" "Ruff Fluff"

"Grey"

One of my silkies has really feathery feet while the other doesn't. Is this an imposter? Or just a defect?

The second photo is of the more "normal" one.

Back
Top Bottom