Silkie thread!

Are top knots aka vaulted skulls more common in cockerels? Seems like whenever I see one or someone mentions their top knot bird, it is a male.

Eat them* lol
Would if you know for a fact they are not fertile because you have no roosters? Are you suppose to Let them keep some of their eggs anyway and let them pretend or should you keep taking them? Also how long are eggs good for out in the coop if they are not collected right away? I mean the kinds you plan to collect and eat.

Would if you know for a fact they are not fertile because you have no roosters? Are you suppose to Let them keep some of their eggs anyway and let them pretend or should you keep taking them? Also how long are eggs good for out in the coop if they are not collected right away? I mean the kinds you plan to collect and eat. 
if you don't have a rooster, you should try to break her broodiness, in my opinion. Eggs stay good at room temperature up to 6 months. In the summer/winter you will want to collect frequently to prevent temperature extremes from affecting the eggs.

if you don't have a rooster, you should try to break her broodiness, in my opinion. Eggs stay good at room temperature up to 6 months. In the summer/winter you will want to collect frequently to prevent temperature extremes from affecting the eggs.
Thanks, I never knew eggs stayed good at room temp. So its not a big deal if I dont collect eggs every single day then? So I should just keep taking the eggs away if she's broody and there is no rooster, or I dont want babies? Also this is an odd question but is it ok to not give light during winter, if I dont care about the eggs? Or is it unhealthy for them to NOT lay.

Thanks, I never knew eggs stayed good at room temp. So its not a big deal if I dont collect eggs every single day then? So I should just keep taking the eggs away if she's broody and there is no rooster, or I dont want babies? Also this is an odd question but is it ok to not give light during winter, if I dont care about the eggs? Or is it unhealthy for them to NOT lay. 
if you have a rooster, you should collect at least once per day to prevent any unfortunate accidents (beginning incubation. )
It is better to let the hens have a rest during the winter instead of forcing them into production. This will increase their length of productive life and will give their bodies a break to recuperate from the previous season.

Just wanted to share our new black silkie I picked up this morning. Our other black chick passed away yesterday morning as you know and we drove around everywhere trying to find another black one. I finally stumbled across her this morning on our local ksl ads, and picked her up right away :) She now happens to be my daughters favorite! She actually seems to like to be cuddled and my daughter wont stop asking to hold her lol. We love her already :) She's about 9 days old. What do you think of her? And here's all our babies together :)
She is a beauty!!! They look so cute together!!!
1f60d.png
I dont have any adult birds yet. They are all babies :) I just wanna know what to expect ahead of time. So do you let her just sit on her unfertilized eggs for three weeks if she acts broody? Or can you keep taking the eggs and get her mind off it? Sorry, im completely new when it comes with silkie hens. Ive only had a silkie rooster growing up and then I only recenly got a batch of silkie chicks so hens will be a new thing for me.
I only have chicks too
1f604.png

if you have a rooster, you should collect at least once per day to prevent any unfortunate accidents (beginning incubation. )
It is better to let the hens have a rest during the winter instead of forcing them into production. This will increase their length of productive life and will give their bodies a break to recuperate from the previous season.
Good to know, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom