Silkie thread!

I have a question.. I am reading alot of different advice on the internet about the best way to hatch chicks. Laying on their side or in the upright position sitting in cartons. Seems so many people have great success with both ways, and then just as many people have less success both ways. I am using an automatic turner during incubation in a circulating still air bator, and im hatching silkies. When its time for lockdown, how do you hatch your chicks? What has worked the best?

I think you will find that a lot of the upright and in cartons are because they are shipped eggs and may have sustained damage to the air cell on their way through the post. The air cell is prone to move out of the big end of the egg where it needs to be for the chick to pip. All those methods are to keep an air cell up the big end. Un posted eggs don't have those sort of problems. Are you hatching posted eggs?

Last edited:
Here are my babies! The black ones are 13 weeks and the white ones are 18 weeks. Marty, Dee, Puck, and the white ones are
BC (was buttercup but he's a roo! Lol) and Pollo.
I'm not sure exactly what the black ones are mixed with, momma was a black bearded silkie and dad was...??? LOL. Marty, my black(ish) roo has silver all over and is beginning to have some green tail feathers:p. Marty started crowing at two months and BC just started last week. It is so funny to hear them play dueling crows! The one of my whole "flock" is also my three remaining guineas: Bartholomew, Gertie, and Bessie. Predators got five of them as they like to go in the woods and shriek about how plump and tasty they are! :rolleyes:

]

I think you will find that a lot of the upright and in cartons are because they are shipped eggs and may have sustained damage to the air cell on their way through the post. The air cell is prone to move out of the big end of the egg where it needs to be for the chick to pip. All those methods are to keep an air cell up the big end. Un posted eggs don't have those sort of problems. Are you hatching posted eggs?
Yes I am incubating shipped eggs. The air cells are on the big end but some are shaped funny and somewhat extending down the sides a little. This is my first time hatching so I want to do whatever I can to make sure they hatch alright. Would it be best to try the carton method with these? I let them sit big side up for 24hrs before I set them, and they've been in an auto egg turner big side up during incubation. They are on day 9 now, and seem to be doing well. I saw them swimming around yesterday.

How much do y'all pay for a silkie rooster that's around 6-8 months old
I paid $15-50 for show quality bearded blue and splash pullets from a reputable breeder. Take your time to look and make connections. If you are in CA I can hook up with a breeder whose stock and service I was extremely happy with. He prefers not to ship though so best if you can pick up in Gilroy, CA.

Okay I'm thankful and at the same time have steam coming out my ears...

I had someone contact me via Facebook asking for Silkies. She wanted to trade. For a trio. The problem was I didn't have any extra roos because I just gave all mine away to good homes. I do have some young pullets I've been watching to decide which to keep. Anyways.... I just saw a add she put on trying to sale about 30 different chickens. Including the very colors she was asking me for. Thank goodness non of my birds went to a animal broker.

Back
Top Bottom